• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Free Roaming?

Would you let your tegu free roam?

• no, but I use a leash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nohotegu

5 Year Member
I was looking at videos on you tube and noticed a number of free roaming tegus... outside in backyards and things. Thoughts?

Gx3

5 Year Member
I would if it was in an enclosed area (like a backyard) and I was walking with him, but I would never let him stay outside my himself (burrowing tegu=lost tegu hehe)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our 3 adult Tegu have free roamed in our yard since the day we got them (as adults). We used a leash on the first one once but she never showed any sign of wanting to run away. The other were placed on the ground and all they did was wander a little and lay in the sun to bask. The 16 month old B&W has had problems with being afraid of the outside, she's been outside on a leash a couple of times this month and is improving, but I wouldn't let her loose without a leash.

tegu1982

5 Year Member
i let my red free roam in the yard. it not as jumpy or skittish as my blk/w whom i have to use a leash on for now. but there both still young.

EdwardtheTegu

5 Year Member
What about roaming around the house? Any stuff we should look out for or change? (meaning are they curious enough to eat something they aren't supposed to) :-D

dpjm

5 Year Member
Ripper has free roam of the apartment. He is very curious and will check out everything, climb your furniture, knock over plants, poop on the floor. He tried to eat a small stuffed animal - I had to fight hard to keep him from swallowing it.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a bunch that I let free roam outside, and I even bring them in sometimes. Just make sure the area that you let them roam is tegu safe.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dpjm said:
Ripper has free roam of the apartment. He is very curious and will check out everything, climb your furniture, knock over plants, poop on the floor. He tried to eat a small stuffed animal - I had to fight hard to keep him from swallowing it.
Ours will do all of that also!! I had to fight with our big Red male to get a stuffed dog toy out of his mouth. He actually taunted the dog with it!! The dog wasn't interested in fighting him for it.

mr.king

5 Year Member
I'm currently trying to train my tegu with a dog training clicker. My roommate heard of a guy that did it and would let his tegus roam in the park and once he started clicking the clicker they would come running back to him.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.king said:
I'm currently trying to train my tegu with a dog training clicker. My roommate heard of a guy that did it and would let his tegus roam in the park and once he started clicking the clicker they would come running back to him.
That would be Risk Sisco. There is a rumor that his Tegu's died during hibernation last year. He didn't have any Tegu's for sale this year. Or it could be because Bert from Agama died. ;)

Rick hasn't been seen at his forum since July, that's 4 months. That tells me he's out of the Tegu business even though his web page says otherwise.

I tried many times to meet Rick in the park he said he let his Tegu's roam. He always said he would never commit to being at any one place, even if we drove up there to see him.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's in southern Maine. Maybe he left them outside in the ground?? It's only a rumor. No one has heard from him in a few months. Not even his forum!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029