• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time Tegu Owner

VersacesMama

Hi all, thank you for the add. I am a first time tegu owner. I got Versace for my birthday last month (rescued her form a pet store). Not sure how old she is, she is about 12 inches (nose to tail base)(if anyone can give me a rough idea on age the would be GREAT!! She is a good girl, first few days she was cranky, I would be too if I was in the pet store circuit for who knows how long.

I think she is trying to go into brumation, she sleeps all the time, but when i get home she wants to lay with me and still eats well.

I have been reading discussions on various topics in here. The is so much amazing information.

Thanks All!!

rantology

12 inches is a little girl, likely less than 3-4 months old. If she's still active and eating then probably not brumation! Just keep your parameters up to snuff and she will let you know! ;) They have an adjustment period when you first bring them home for a few weeks where they like to hide a lot - she could still be getting used to the change. Congrats and welcome to the Tegu family!

Last edited:

VersacesMama

12 inches is a little girl, likely less than 3-4 months old. If she's still active and eating then probably not brumation! Just keep your parameters up to snuff and she will let you know! ;) They have an adjustment period when you first bring them home for a few weeks where they like to hide a lot - she could still be getting used to the change. Congrats and welcome to the Tegu family!
She is 12 inches from tip of nose to base of tail + 3 foot tail.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm confused about the size....first I thought she was a 12" baby, then it sounded like she was a 4' adult. Sorry - never heard of a 3' tail. Do you mean 3 ft total? She'd be an adult in that case for a female.

VersacesMama

I'm confused about the size....first I thought she was a 12" baby, then it sounded like she was a 4' adult. Sorry - never heard of a 3' tail. Do you mean 3 ft total? She'd be an adult in that case for a female.
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, about 3' total. Thank you. She still has some green on her head and neck, if she is an adult, will that eventually go away? I have seen many images with a white head/neck.

TIA for all the info i can get.

VersacesMama

Here she is. Looks more green and pink in the pics. In person she's more green. In the video, the plate is 8x8 for size reference. I have only had her for a month, we are still getting used to one another, but she is so amazing. FYI the bin she is in was a temp when i durst brought her home).
20201017_194645~2.jpg
20201028_215506~2.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980