• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time Tegu owner looking for some insight/advice

Insanity0789

Great video and pictures! Enjoy that young age - It makes me wish I could get another one. That was so cute the way he went up your arm Chris - and for a minute just used his back legs. My female loved the top of my head too - and my long hair that she would root around on, trying to get underneath. Too dangerous now though. She's 3 ft, and he's about 4ft. I could lose an eye at the least. I remember the times I used to carry my female around in my hoodie. She loved it.

One other thing Chris - most of us don't feed the live mice because of the hunting frenzy (yes they love it) that can get out of hand as they go through puberty, and then adult size. It's fun when they're young and easy to control, but if you can imagine a small aligator acting that same way when it's 4 ft long, misinterpreting your toes as something to eat, or whatever else they could possibly mistake...it's safer for everyone involved to set up their adult life without that issue. If they get hungry enough, they'll eat just about anything....although they're good at holding out.

I'm not judging - just posting my understanding after raising 2 Tegus, and 2 years of experience. I absolutely don't know everything. I would like to influence you though - especially if you have kids.

Insanity - you're doing great. Your instincts are perfect for the best kind of relationship/taming. Keep us posted, we really do enjoy hearing about everyone's experiences, as we look back and remember all of ours. Soon, you'll be the one telling the new people not to worry! :p ;)
Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm glad to know I'm doing it right when it comes to bonding with my little buddy. I had another good day of shenanigans with my guy today after work. He seems hesitant to come out when I first come home but he warms up quickly; I work at a pet shop ironically enough so I brought home something for him today which he happily devoured and gave him some time to digest and heat up. Then I opened the door and just sat while he eyed me from his hide. Eventually he came out sat on his basking rock and eyes me some more before walking to the opening and I just put my hand in and he climbed right up to his happy spot haha

Insanity0789

IMG_20200601_131553837.jpg

Insanity0789

Just wondering if anyone has ever noticed a lack of wanting to be handled while shedding? My little guy is in the process of shedding for the first time at the moment and for the last two days has shown no interest in being handled. Was just wondering if this is common behaviour.

Insanity0789

When you guys take your Tegus out for handling usually how long do you handle them for? I try to keep my handling time relatively limited depending on how he's behaving. If he's okay an having fun I usually keep at it for about 45mins at most at the moment. Today even though he's still shedding he did come.out on his own to say hello which was nice but after about a half hour he was clearly tired so I just genlty petted him for a few minutes and put him back to bask.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think it depends, for me - if they have a basking lamp, they stay out longer. If it's just out for a romp, I think that sounds about right (45 mins). They like they're warm environment, and their enclosures kind of how dogs really like their crates. It surprised me the first time I realized... they're crawling up my leg so that I pick them up to get back home.

If I have my mobile bask lamp out though...they stay sometimes up to 3 hours. They go in and out of it, but there's nothing that compares to that hide back in their enclosure! :tegu:

Chris & Stitches

Mine doesent act different other than he gets a little lazy and the only time he will sit still in the bath and let me gently wash him with a toothbrush is during shedding.hes 22 inches now 21 3/4 to be exact, and .8 lbs he is growing quick also He’s getting very bold.He throws a fit if I try to end out of enclosure time before he’s ready.he hasn’t whipped or bitten but he is funny how he runs around like the cops are chasing him but if I lay on the floor he comes right back to me. I set up my fireplace as a safe basking area on floor but he rarely goes more than a few feet from wherever I am.i don’t really force him to come out much but I do let him out whenever he is scratching the glass and he’s out 10-20 times a day most of the time for 1-5 minute encounters or meeting my customers and I let him have an hour or so but sometimes he won’t wanna go home for a couple hours.generally the more he sees going on and when people are close to his tank he wants to come out and will jump and charge to get attention

Insanity0789

Yeah once he's bigger I would like to set him up so he can come out on his own and just explore at will but because he's so tiny and I have cats I feel better knowing he's with me. He's gotten used to the idea of not wandering far from "dad" which is nice. I eventually want to work on leash training and such but that will come with time. I just upgraded his enclosure a but and he's currently having the time of his life!
IMG_20200613_160817610.jpg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Where have you been Godzilla?? I might have to speak to your Mother about this. You can't just leave us to our own devices...geez...what will we do when you're 13?? You'll be at some University the way things are going. ;):tegu::cool:

Godzilla Earth

Where have you been Godzilla?? I might have to speak to your Mother about this. You can't just leave us to our own devices...geez...what will we do when you're 13?? You'll be at some University the way things are going. ;):tegu::cool:
Yup, don’t worry, I’m just working for the money. I’m getting $140 this week so making progress:tegu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus