• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

first time breeding attempt

floomazoom

5 Year Member
hey there, so i have a female tegu and just got a large male, the male is only SLIGHTLY larger then the female, i have a 6x3x2 custom enclosure as well

the night i first got the male, i put him in with the female. the female at the time was buried under the cypress mulch and the male sniffed around and dig her up, after a little nudging around he violently attacked her several times (it seemed violent, for all i know it could have been the way the breeding process starts) either way, he was biting at her legs and her rear as well as her tail and she was panicking a lot. she was running away instead of defending herself in any way (like she would normally thrash or at least charge momentarily if she felt threatened by me if i had just woken her up and she was very grumpy)

id really like to think things will work out and that i didnt not waste my money (as the pet store i got them from is very rude despite the fact i am a regular)

any and all help is GREATLY appreciated, also if i have made the mistake of posting this in the wrong thread, please let me know so i may re-post it in the appropriate location

thank you in advance to all that reply

skippy

5 Year Member
i'm in a similar boat except my new addition is a female to go with my male. they're the same length but the male is (obviously) heavier built. i fed him a bunch before introducing the female and after he was full he was VERY interested. he followed her around and tried grabbing her neck and tail so i separated them for a little while. on the second intro he layed on top of her for a while making short puffing noises before trying to get locked up. it didn't seem to go the way he was planning though and now he looks tired :roll: he's basking.

Adam87

5 Year Member
that snorting sound is just the male behavior from what i understand i've seen it in alot of breeding videos but im no expert but i plan on breeding one day so im doing all the homework i can do and good luck to the both of you and who knows by the end of the summer or sometime next year prehaps u guys may be responding to my help with breeding posts haha

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
im to trying to breed my tegus this year my male keeps showing signs i hope he hooks up with her soon lol

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The male should not be biting the legs, that's not breeding activity, the breeding males will lightly bite the tail about half way down, and pop their jowls. He should not be charging her, though they will follow the female. The females do show submission to the male most of the time. Often times with a raised snout like with crocodiles and alligators. pointing their snout toward the sky.
You need to watch your male and make sure he is not being territorial with her, it is rare, but he can hurt her. also 90% of the time females are smaller than the males.

I hope this helps. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu