• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First tegu

Kalei

Hi everyone. I know there are probably thousands of threads about this, but I've searched everywhere. I have a month old baby chacoan tegu named Yoshi. I've had him (it's not sexed so I'm just going to use him) for about a week. The person I got him from told me to handle him every day and feed him raw turkey with calcium in another container. Anyways, he's always a bit skiddish when I pick him up out of his cage. I take him out to do bathtub taming every day for about an hour, and he recently started letting me pet him, and calms a little bit when it's time to pick him up to take him back to his cage or to feeding. Today though, when I went to take him out of his cage, he squirmed and jumped out and dashed under my bed. I spend an hour waiting and slowly moving trying to get him, but it just wouldn't work. I finally got him under a pillow and slowly moved it and picked him up, and he did a quick little bite at my finger, which was his first bite ever. I don't know what to do? Do I still take him out for bathroom taming? Will it work eventually? I just don't want a skiddish or untame tegu when it becomes bigger. Thanks!

N8bub

Patience, sounds like you're doing it right it will just take time. It will come around. Try putting a dirty sock in his cage. Many people say t-shirts but I believe you're socks will have a more potent aroma. This will help condition your gu to your scent and he will be less threatened by u. Good luck and remember ,patience.

Kalei

Is it bad to pick him up out of his cage to do bathroom taming? Or do I just not do it until she comes to me?
Patience, sounds like you're doing it right it will just take time. It will come around. Try putting a dirty sock in his cage. Many people say t-shirts but I believe you're socks will have a more potent aroma. This will help condition your gu to your scent and he will be less threatened by u. Good luck and remember ,patience.

N8bub

That's a decent question. Some people opt to wait until the gu is accustomed to your hands and arms before working with it. Others will say gently get your gu out to start it being used to you. I'm probably in camp 2,the kid in me can't resist taking them out. If you can try to get him out while she's not in its hide. A small amount of interaction before u get to the tub in my opinion is fine. Just do the heavy lifting of taming more on its terms in the tub.

Yutahji

I'm in the same boat, Kalei. What really seemed to work for my little girl was the bath tub method + lots of pillows and blankets with my smell. I stayed in the tub with her for 2 hours, and she has learned she enjoys burrowing into my shirt when I have her out. Also, scooping from underneath, letting them come to you, etc. will really help your progess. My girl is only 2 weeks old right now, so she may be more impressionable, but it sounds like you're going in the right direction. Keep it up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus