• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fire skink

j.sawyer48

I just picked him up Sunday his name is ignis but now that I'm looking he dosent have the same trates as other fire skinks I see online here's a vid.. Let me no what u think of him click the link below.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_5-EurUb4s

I would greatly appreciate some feed back please and thank u

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hate to be the barer of bad news but thats not a fire skink, thats a yellow stripped (sometimes called the red sided) plated lizards. Still very cool lizards, they are hardy and make great pets. They can really get use to people and eat almost anything. Only thing really different is they do not need to be kept as humid.

j.sawyer48

Yea and that's how I have it I'm changing that in the morning that pisses me off of I didn't find this out I would have kept it humid and that could of hurt him. What should I use for substrate and temps ?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I used to work with a Sudan plated lizard (not the exact same species but closely related) when I was at the kid's museum. I had him housed on Eco Earth in a 40 gallon tank with a 100 watt Zoo Med Powersun bulb. Spike was somewhere between 15 and 18 and would eat anything that would fit down his throat. He was on a diet of crickets, mealworms, waxworms, goliath worms, silkworms, nightcrawlers, snails, and mice. I would love to have one but I never see them in pet stores. Was Ignis sold to you as a fire skink? If so, you may want to go back to the store and point out the error.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had a Sudan plated as well, loved that guy lived to be 20 years old before a cold winter got him. I had him on sand (eco earth is fine as well). They like it hot and to be honest I never has a UVB bulb on him for the first 10 years. Red sides i beilive do need UVB they have smaller plates, they also like a bit of humidity (not 100% desert) so a weekly misting helps. They will eat mainly inscets as they do not get to a good size to take much more.

j.sawyer48

Yea he was labeled as a fire skink after work today I'm going to talk to the manager about it. Just upset I could of hurt with it being so humid if I never found out but thanx guys an it's not bad news I like him but wish I had a fire skink lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980