• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Finally, a couple of photos of my Dumerils

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Please excuse the substrate. The enclosures for exhibiting at Reptile Fest this year were kept simple to enhance viewing of the animals. This Dumerils is now about 1.5 years old and has retained a lot of pattern and color so far. I hope it stays with him well into adulthood.
f08051.jpg

f08054.jpg

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Nice Jif! You know I gotta add to the roughneck photo fest:
EdgarHead.jpg

I imagine at this age, the majority of the colors will stay, although it may lose some of the the bands across the back.

That is my next monitor project for sure.

-Chris

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Chris, care to offer an opinion on the sex of this dumerils? The head shot might give some clue. I don't have enough experience with these to make an educated guess.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I'll make a guess, but don't hold me accountable. It could go either way. My guess, judging from the pictures is a female. If you look at the top of the head, it is a continuous, smooth slope that runs to the end of the face. Males often have a steep incline right after the nasal cavities. Even though Rudicollis have unusual facial structures, you can see the sharp incline on Edgar's face. Males also tend to have bulky appendages. I know Edgar is not a dumerils, but he is not even a year old, and check out his arms:
EdgarMeasurementMarch08.jpg

See how they are more bulbous and muscular? Your dum has very small biceps that seem smaller than the forearms.

That is my guess. It could still be a male. Post some shots of the vents and I can take another stab at it. Or, ask Ben Aller for an opinion. He is the sensei of all things dumeril.

-Chris

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and Chris for your opinion on the gender. You pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking. This monitor has grown up with very little actual interaction....just normal cleaning and feeding. I've only handled it 3 times now since I've had it. I was taking a chance when I agreed to put it on display at Fest but this animal has gained a lot of confidence and did quite well. While handling her to get her packed and unpacked she huffed and she puffed a lot but never opened her mouth to bite. I have always loved the dumerils and rudis and hopefully this one will be with me for a long time. I'd love to have a rudi also and am keeping my eyes open.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu