• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

"Female" Problems

ierowe

5 Year Member
I have been reading alot about tegus. I want one but cannot decide if I should go male or female. I know the size differences and have heard that males are a bit more docile(maybe not enuf diff to be a deal breaker for a female). But I have been reading about "female" problems(specifically egg laying probs). What is the problem with females and is it really something to be concerned about and just go with what appeals to me? Thanks

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
If you don't plan on breeding egg laying should make no differnce to you. The females will absorb the eggs if there are no males present.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my experience males tend to be more docile, but that's only bases on the 2 male & 2 females Tegu's we have, your mileage may vary. I've never heard of a female Tegu getting egg bound, they reabsorb the follicles.

ierowe

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. I thought maybe I was gonna have to do the Heimlich or something to get the eggs out. lol I like the look of the females butt(ha) but the egg prob and temperament were a concern.

luckdragon

5 Year Member
My tegu is a female and she is very docile. It could be that we handled her a lot since we have had her. She's so great she even comes right up to us and looks up at us for attention. Good to know about the eggs, I wondered if they still laid the egss and they just were not fertilized without a male around?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our females probably weren't handled much when they were younger. The female who laid last year's temperament has improved since she laid but not as good as the male, he's dog tame. I can do anything to him and he's mellow.

I heard a guy had an infertile clutch of Blue Tegu eggs last year or maybe he did a few things wrong and killed them in the incubator.

Suzanne

5 Year Member
I have a male and a female tegu. The male is very docile, the female on the other hand is moody to say the least :evil: . You never know what you are going to get with ner. She can be downright scary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029