• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

feeding question or to

Zelera

5 Year Member
OK,i got my Colombian black and white Tegu and i wanted to try and feed him some new stuff :-D but i need some info on what to try... currently i feed him mostly fruit and ground turkey together, he is not interested in mice at all and will not eat them for nothing..i give him a raw egg rarely,and i hear people say cook the egg and some say feed raw.i feed a raw egg cause it has more nutrients and stuff but what else can i feed him i seen a topic where varnyard said don't bother trying to force them to eat fruit if they won't get it by its self and that there 95% water but cant find topic on what he feeds his so fill me in again if you can

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Colombians are not really fruit eaters at all. As for new foods, try a pinkie dipped in egg yoke, super worms, mealworms, crickets, chicken liver, or chicken gizzards. If he is not eating whole prey items, you are going to need to add vitamin dust to some of the meals.

Zelera

5 Year Member
could i try a fuzzy? cause i would have to get quite a few pinkies for him. i do have the vitamin dust i just have not used it in a while i figured since he was not into mice, i didnt think i would matter if i put the dust on him or not

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Mice,Rats,Beef,Beef Liver,Lean Turkey, Gizzards, Zophobas, Roaches, Locusts, Grasshoppers, Arthropods, (you could feed him a spider but I don't recommend it. LOL. I read somewhere that tegus will kill a Tarantula and eat it in the wild, but that's a risk and a 20$ price tag I don't like fooling with) And hey bobby if a tegu will whoop a rattler, you could always feed it a garter. LOL. I've fed feeder anoles a few times, THAT is one heck of a battle. Not dangerous, but those little buggers are fast and Apollo will chase one to the ends of the earth.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You could also try crawfish..I think im gonna go buy some for my tegus to see how they like'em.. You can try some Lamb too my tegus love Lamb....Is it ok to feed oranges to Tegus?

redtail2426

5 Year Member
All I can think of is that oranges are acidic but who really knows if they are ok to feed. You might just get people that say they are not ok to feed because that is what everyone else in the forums says which is usually how the forums work, no one really knows they just repeat everything. :roll:

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well my Reds LOVE them..Thats the first thing they go after if i have oranges for them that day. Do you think the acid would hurt them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kid3zoo