• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

FEEDING funnies

eddiezahra

5 Year Member
well i just thought i would post this b/c its about my tegu and that's what this board is about lol. my tegu eats his fruit but only when i put it in his cage.. he wont eat it outside other than grapes... wierd? anyone have stories about feeding share them.

also how are peaches for tegus? fresh/canned?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Apollo just charged me. LOL. It's 10:30pm and I just got home. I tossed in his first mouse and put in a bowl of mice and fruit, he ignored them and jumped on me. I followed his attack with a quick defocation in my coveralls.

boygenius

5 Year Member
I have somewhat similar behaviors with my tegus, they will only eat food in their enclosures. When I try to put them in a different enclosure with the food already there they will not eat.

nat

5 Year Member
my tegu will charge my husband whenever he goes near her. He is convinced she is the most evil thing ever. When I went to Italy for a month he started telling me via email about how he needed welding gloves and how he was feeding her at night when she was sleeping. I got home and no problems! So I thought he was making it up until I watched him try to feed her one day and sure enough she charged him so violently she smuck herself in the face against the glass that divided the two of them. He won't go near here anymore yet I can have guests over and she sombers up to them no problem.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
nat said:
my tegu will charge my husband whenever he goes near her. He is convinced she is the most evil thing ever.
Our male Blue would charge and snap at me when ever I'd get near him, give him food, etc. After we had him a month and a half he suddenly warmed up and lets me do what ever I want to him (nothing sick! :mrgreen: ). Although the first few times I shoved my hand under the couch to pull him out I was a bit worried. He's never made a threatening move since.

Our Tegu's (except the youngest) are fed their fruit/veggies in their enclosure. Rodents are fed in a bowl in the kitchen, alway have, always will. Our big Red was VERY food & cage aggressive when we got him (rescue). I built him a full size enclosure (about 3 weeks) and he's been a big baby since.

Our female Blue likes to violently shake her mice. The first time we fed her she shook them to pieces, guts all over the wall AND ceiling!!! I guess that's funny!

hoosier

5 Year Member
i was eating a banana on my bed when i thought Dek was sleeping next to me. but he started to climb up on my chest and i thought he was just saying hi. lol he decided to take a bite out of my banana! lol so i gave him the rest of it. i wanted that banana... lol

nat

5 Year Member
eddiezahra said:
nat said:
my tegu will charge my husband whenever he goes near her

my "ferrari" huffs and puffs at a buddy of mine. only him tho, no1 else

well my theory on such a reaction is this: My tegu came from what I suspect was an abusive situation. She was given to me by a pet store who couldn't sell her due to what appeared to be neurological problems (she walks with a funny sway and her depth perception is completely off, also she veers to the left when she tries to walk straight). The guys who "cared" for her at the petstore were all male. Apparently she was in a tank marked "I am retarded" on the glass in the back and supposedly one of the guys was bragging about her strong feeding response (I say supposedly because I didn't pick her up, I had a friend arrange it since the pet store was located in Vancouver and I am on the Island). Anyways, I suspect that some of her nerve damage came from abuse (perhaps due to a whack after she latched on to some guys hand as they dangled mice in front of her ?) Anyways, she hasn't been around men since she has come to my care expect for my husband and what do you know ? She has an incrediably adverse reaction to him. Its not a theory I would ever be able to really prove nor am I interested in doing so but if that is the case, it would really atest to the intelligence of these guys.

nat

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
I know of some people who had tegus that used to attack only the males of the family.

interesting because I have only experienced that with my one female. Everyother tegu I have ever met has been just fine with either sex.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
My tegu huffs and puffs every time you reach in his cage, im convinced its just a phase, bc i dont feed anything inside his cage, and when you take him out hes perfectly fine. Also its the funniest thing, when he gets hungry, hell put his two front feet on the inside ledge, and look out the glass at you and move back and forth until you let him out. Then when he is out, he does a once over of the entire apt, to see if theres any food, then goes back inside his cage. Last night when he went in my roomates room, my roomate went in looking for him, and as soon as he stepped into the room, from nowhere BAM! tegu jumps out from behind the door and taggs the crap out of his big toe. I was laughing so hard I couldnt breathe for a good 30min.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan