• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding and burmation

Derek Doel

My 2 yr old has started to burrow away in his hide with the exception of coming out everyday to lounge in the sun for a couple hours. When he is done in the sun he burrows back away for the rest of the day. I have been feeding him every 3rd day currently. How often should be fed now?

Last year he didn't burmate at all. I have read to not feed them alot as the digestion slows down but there was no definition of how much was alot.

Should I put out some mice one a week or not that often?

Zach

I've always read from trusted & known breeders to take away food completely, make sure they always have fresh water (change it out once a week), & start to slowly decrease the light. So say your lights are on for 12 hours a day, decrease it to 10 for a week, 8 for two weeks, 6 for two weeks, & if you start to not see him come out at all, don't bother turning on the light. Once you do see him coming out again though, you can turn his lights on as usually when they start to wake up from brumation, it takes them awhile to truly be awake.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my experience I offer food but already my tegu has slowed in her feeding. She ate a couple roaches this week but that's it really.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980