• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Favorite herp?

burke0000

5 Year Member
I was wondering what everyones favorite one of their pets is?

I love all my herps but my fav is my redfoot tortoise

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i really like pythons (reticulated pythons, burmese pythons, and ball pythons), sand boa morphs, monitors, tegus, and big tortoises

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The question is "What is your favorite pet". I'm sure there are lots of reptiles we'd like to have. What's the favorite one you have?

My favorite is our male Blue Tegu, he can have an attitude sometimes but he seems to like being handled more than the others.

Followed by my 4ft 2 year old male Ball Python. His tank is next to my side of the bed, if he see's me coming he'll come up to the glass, stare at me and dance on the glass, pausing to look at me some more. And he likes to watch TV.

burke0000

5 Year Member
Ya I had high expectations of my new tegu being one of my favs but so far I have been very disapointed with the purchase.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
burke0000 said:
Ya I had high expectations of my new tegu being one of my favs but so far I have been very disapointed with the purchase.

You have had him just over one month, and you are expecting him to trust you? Tegus must have trust built, the more you try to push him, the more you will see more of the same. Try to give him space and time to see you as a friend, your tegu is still seeing you as a threat. You cannot make him do what you want, you need to try to earn his trust.

burke0000

5 Year Member
By no mean did I mean disapointed in the tegu itself. Im just disapointed on what I have been able to accomplish and connect with my tegu. Its just hard cuz I want to hold him and show him off. Besides him not trusting me yet, he is a beautiful specimen from bobby and I cant wait to be able to hold him. Bobby I will look for you at the daytona breeders expo this weekend, I will be wearing my tegu talk shirt.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
burke0000 said:
By no mean did I mean disapointed in the tegu itself. Im just disapointed on what I have been able to accomplish and connect with my tegu. Its just hard cuz I want to hold him and show him off. Besides him not trusting me yet, he is a beautiful specimen from bobby and I cant wait to be able to hold him. Bobby I will look for you at the daytona breeders expo this weekend, I will be wearing my tegu talk shirt.

Give me a ring on my cell phone when you get to the show, the number is 850-691-9061

burke0000

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
burke0000 said:

Give me a ring on my cell phone when you get to the show, the number is 850-691-9061

Cool, I look forward to meeting you!

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
As for my pets, i love them all and don't like picking "favorites"... but my favorite reptiles, in general, are Reticulated Pythons and Argentine Tegus. And now i have one of both of those :)

I think your tegu will eventually come along, burke! Mine still isn't very tame yet, but i'm making some slow progress. I can at least get him in and out of a feeding bin now.. and i've noticed he'll be alright with sitting in my hand for a little while if i put my hand under his heat lamp where he can bask while i hold him. And he doesn't go spastic running away from my hand when i try to pick him up anymore.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
ahh I whould have to say out of all the reptiles I have had..

my green iguana Kiwi.He was the sweetest,calmest, best tempered reptile I have ever owned..5'6 all love.

He passed away this year :(.

But then I got Cooper, my bearded dragon!Now he has been fun living with and owning..

So I whould have to say Kiwi..but Cooper is close behind..

Beazer

5 Year Member
My favorite pet as in something I handle is my chahoua, well all my chahoua geckos. My favorite none handle display animal is my juvenile arizona black rattlesnake.

-Jon DeLong

Azaleah

5 Year Member
My favorite pet is my Blue Tegu, Brandy. He is just supertame and awesome, even sleeps in my bed with me.

However, I used to have a full grown Savannah that was a lot like him. So I like them too.

Personally, any big, tame lizard is best for me :).

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
hey burke, i bought a hatchling from bobby, and i have a large female i bought from petco, cause no one woould buy her and i couldn't stop myself.

my big female is tame as a puppy, she crawles up on my bed and demands attention, on weekends i wake up with her under my blankets her head usually stuffed under my arm. she has absolutly no aggression twards me and is the perfect picture of a tame tegu, i don't spend time everyday to make sure she stays that way, hell i don't even see her on weekdays unless she's hungry cause she's asleep when i get home. she is this way just because i follow the rules, and i don't break her trust.

my hatchling thinks he's a rabid wolf right now. had him since the 15th of july, he's jumpy he flashes his open mouth at me, he bellows air when i get near him. needless to say we're not really bonding yet. but their are small things, like now he'll eat when he knows i'm watching, and when i hold him he calms down after some struggle. but that is how hatchlings are. they'll be jumpy and scared, give him time, i'm 100% sure my hatchling will end up alot like groxy my girl. follow the rules, don't mess with their trust. take your time, keep him very healthy. and i garantee you he will begin to enjoy you're attention.

one easy way that is mentioned here a lot is to harness his cureeosity --SP? if you can, let your hand lay in his tank while you watch tv, or read. i garantee you once you forget your hand is in there he'll be smellin and lickin, and generally exploring your hand. he won't be able to help it.

ohh, and honestly groxy my big girl is my favority pet cause she loves me back, unlike my mooch of a cat who only loves me when he wants something.

Gx3

5 Year Member
My favorite lizard has been an Argentine tegu since I was in 2nd grade (im in 16th grade now hehe) when my buddy josh had a huge black and white that would just cruise around his place...and I finally got my tegu a little over a week ago!! W00t. And my favorite snakes are blood/short tail pythons, which I also own but I want to get a black blood in the next year. My favorite venomous snake would be a Gaboon Viper (gotta love the girthy snakes!). And I also love my tiger sals! They are so entertaining and funny to watch/feed, and they are active all day!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus