• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosure Strategy

ierowe

5 Year Member
I want to build an enclosure 8x2.5x2.5 and would like ideas as to the strategy of light and heating element placement in a house this size.
Thanks, Nate

ierowe

5 Year Member
OK Cool And where should the lights and heating be placed within the enclosure? Thanks for all the info

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I put the 90W halogen in a big dome on one end and the 4ft fixture next to it in the center if the enclosure. The cool end is a little dark but I've got a piece of plywood leaned up against one wall for a hide so it doesn't matter.

scarecrow

5 Year Member
What part of Ca are you in? I noticed other people sometime having trouble getting cypress.

We live in San Diego and haven't had any problems getting to it; if you're around these parts, Pet Kingdom in point loma has it in big ol' bags :)

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Also LLL Reptiles in Escondido has cypress. If you can't get to Esco they also sell everything online at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lllreptile.com">www.lllreptile.com</a><!-- w -->

ierowe

5 Year Member
Scarecrow--Awesome Store!!! I called them ,Extremely helpful! Only about 45 mins from me. Thank you for the great info.( I was just in SD last weekend, I live in San Berdoo)
They suggested orchid bark and cypress mixture. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Man

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Your mixture of substrate sounds fine, you might want to throw in some topsoil as well if its in your area cheaply to save some money ;)

My cage is also a bed! I used RehabRalphy's plan for the 8'x4'x4' and I added a ton of supports and bingo :) I've got my baby Red and my baby B/W and they're happy as can been, especially now that their sleeping so much more. I can't find Cypress mulch ANYWHERE here either so I get to buy reptile store bedding thats costs 5x more :(

Spencer

scarecrow

5 Year Member
We use a mix of cypress and coconut bark. The coconut seems to come in two grades (really coarse and fine); we use the fine one. It's really soft and fluffy, like a light and spongy version of pete moss, and it holds moisture great(ly). :)

ierowe

5 Year Member
Thanks I like the idea of cypress and orchid. Won't topsoil get the tegu dirty...dirt will fall and get the house dirty.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I tried changing from cypress to dirt when our male Blue Tegu got impacted for the second time. He was always tracking dirt through his water, making mud. And he wouldn't burrow in it!! He looked very unhappy. I took it out after a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029