• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

enclosure-less tegu?

dreampeach

I don't yet have a Tegu, nor do I know what type of tegu I want yet. I'm more or less playing with the idea of owning one in the future.
Now, obviously tegus grow fast and are large when full grown. Within the next year I will be living in an apartment, hopefully I'll have an extra room I can turn into a "tegu room"... However, I'd prefer if he was "free-roam" when I'm home with the "tegu room" door open for access to his lights/humidity. My question is, Is this a good idea? Right now I don't know how I'd build a big enough enclosure for him. Could I have a corner of his room with his lights and a medium enclosure for humidity? I've seen videos where people have tegus free range with areas for their lights and such.

Again, this is just a thought so please don't beat me up for not knowing more! I still have tons and tons of research to do before I think about getting my first tegu.

marydd

While it is a nice idea, free roaming is not healthy in my opinion. You can not maintain temps and humidity. There are places you can buy large cages if you cannot build one yourself. They are pricey! Boa master is one such place. Keep researching before you get a tegu. Make sure you know what you are in for. They are amazing though.

dreampeach

Yeah, I've been watching lots of videos and reading care sheet after care sheet. I've decided I'll probably build an enclosure, that way I can maintain proper heat and humidity. While I'm home will be his free roam time, and he will spend nights in the comfort of his enclosure! Thank you:)

Skeep

5 Year Member
Yeah, I've been watching lots of videos and reading care sheet after care sheet. I've decided I'll probably build an enclosure, that way I can maintain proper heat and humidity. While I'm home will be his free roam time, and he will spend nights in the comfort of his enclosure! Thank you:)

My girl spends half of her "free roam" time inside her enclosure. She likes to run around and explore, but then goes back to bask and warm up for a bit, then comes back out to run around more. I think having a way for your tegu to go in and out as they please is a good addition (although you'll want to be able to lock him/her in when you need!)

tegu.luv.15

Free roaming is good if you have the right supplies.Place cardboard around the walls, ceiling and on the floor of the tegu room (a medium sized closet works well). Put tarp on the ceiling, floor and walls over the cardboard. Place 1 or 2 humidifiers in the closet. The tarp will make the room water proof and hold the humidity better. Hang 1 or 2 basking lights on the ceiling. Place a towel under the basking light(s) and make sure you provide a water dish at ALL times.
We hope we helped, if you have any questions, just ask
- Caitlin & Kat

Skeep

5 Year Member
Free roaming is good if you have the right supplies.Place cardboard around the walls, ceiling and on the floor of the tegu room (a medium sized closet works well). Put tarp on the ceiling, floor and walls over the cardboard. Place 1 or 2 humidifiers in the closet. The tarp will make the room water proof and hold the humidity better. Hang 1 or 2 basking lights on the ceiling. Place a towel under the basking light(s) and make sure you provide a water dish at ALL times.
We hope we helped, if you have any questions, just ask
- Caitlin & Kat

I would be really careful doing this. There is a high chance the room will grow mold and you could develop health issues, along with the gu, not to mention thousands of dollars in repairs. Maybe it can work but be very careful!

tegu.luv.15

I would be really careful doing this. There is a high chance the room will grow mold and you could develop health issues, along with the gu, not to mention thousands of dollars in repairs. Maybe it can work but be very careful!

Yes,you are right. It is a lot of work to maintain, but works very well

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
An outdoor enclosure for the summer is ideal. then brumation for the winter or a large indoor enclosure. Otherwise, a large indoor enclosure year-round. Fine for the tegu. good conditions, can't get into trouble. Can be taken out for exercise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu