• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Empty 30 gal tank what goes in it??

Melissa

5 Year Member
Just Remember these large snakes can grow extremely fast and a 30 gallon tank will not last long at all. Also be prepared for the food bill they will be moving up to larger and larger prey pretty quickly. I also want a burmese later on but for now i know i don't have time or money for it ( you might be different) so for now i have my other 5 smaller snakes (ball python, blood python, and 3 red tails, and we also have a tegu) I just don't have time for anymore atm lol. It is up to you what snake you get and how you care for it but be prepared for people to not agree if your going to post on a public forum. I agree with other post snakes are totally different than lizards, housing feeding everything. We have big water dishes for our snakes and they crawl their entire body into them np nothing else would fit in there but snakes curl up in it and have no problem. Idk how much experience your have with snakes the 2 you mention especially retics can be very aggressive you may want to start with an easier snake redtails have decent size and temperaments. Whatever you choose just do your research and be prepared for it and the size it will be in a year alone lol. good luck.

nemo66

5 Year Member
kaa said:

So, for a 16 foot snake, 9 inches thick. the cage should be 8'X2'X1.5' at the least. So His measurements are good, and they are the same measurements that the anaconda breeders that I have talked to recommend. remember these are snakes, not lizards, a snake prefers a cramped cage over a spacious one.

that is exactly what i was trying to say. it would be nice to have a larger cage but it would meat the minimum requirements. and the only reason i said drama is because ppl clearly get way to uptight on these forums sometimes. its about sharing opinions. not arguing and fighting about who's right and who's wrong. ive seen it alot on this sight.
:cheers so

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Retics can easily grow to 8 feet in one year so no a 30 gallon wouldn't work for that long. And yeah you not only stepped on some toes but you also spread some misinformation. Any breeder will tell you the minimum not the ideal cage size. And people who don't think their purchases through are the ones that have to get rid of their snakes. Also, you're the same person that less than a month ago wanted a large monitor and had "thought about that for a long time" and you didn't have the facts right. And telling somebody their wrong isn't drama it's stating the facts. Being involved with someone's significant other would be drama. Just to clarify for you. And it doesn't meet or "meat" the requirements.

kaa

5 Year Member
I'm not sure who your post was directed towards. It seemed like it was towards me, Nemo, and F69erFred. If you could shed some light on the misinformation that was spread, I would appreciate it. The dimensions I gave are recommended by most keepers, not just breeders. However, you seem to think you have a better idea of what the snake would prefer, so what size do you recommend?

And the fact that you are even pointing out the typo, is simply childish, and makes it seem like you are just looking for a fight. If you have a problem with my advise, I would rather discuss it in pm's.

mattison187

Ok I'm not trying to start anything. But I noticed one thing a guy kept saying on this page "snakes like cramped spaces" that's incorrect. They like cramped hides or resting spots. So during the day itd be fine. But beeing nocturnal that snake won't be duing much roaming. That's for sure. And don't annies and retics. Mabey just the annie? Like to spend a large portion of the time swimming or atleast soaking in water? How is that going to even remotly be possible in that enclosure?. Like I said not starting trouble just stating my $.02. Makes me sad beeing an ex snake owner seeing these giant animals cramped in those little tanks :/

kaa

5 Year Member
I wasn't saying to cram the snake into a tiny cage. Just that they do just fine in a cage with the recommended dimensions. In my experience, and also from what I have heard from others, snakes get stressed out in a big cage. And also, what is the point of having a huge cage if the snake is going to find the smallest, tightest spot, and stay there. The 30 gal would only work for a little while, but long enough to build a larger cage. And the anacondas do enjoy soaking, but it can also be bad for them. They defecate in the water, and can develop water blisters, scall rot, and other bacterial infection. The conda I have hardly ever soaks in the water. She has a cage with high humidity. No worries about starting any problems, you were simply stating your opinion, and not in a forceful way. I can tell you care about the animals. That is a good thing.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
KaaÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ although you disagreed with me I didnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t feel my toes were stepped on in any wayÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ We are simply discussing our thoughts, opinions and experiencesÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ve never kept massive snakes as my largest was just a lil 8Ã?¢ââ??‰â??¢ red tailÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ and I understand snakes spend a good bit of time in their hide. But they also spend a portion of the average day out and about exploring the cage and often looking for a way to Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??break outÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? to further explore. I think if a snake were to spend all of itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s time in itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s hide it would reflect a stressed animalÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

I didnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t mean to suggest the snake would need a massive water dishÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ but I do feel an adequate water dish is needed. To my understanding the standard suggestion with most snakes is that it have a large enough water dish to fully submerge itself inÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ and that the snakeÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s owner do the required maintenance to ensure that water dish is kept clean. If itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s too much of a hassle to keep the water dish clean, I do not think forgoing the water dish is a responsible solution.

I hope no one read my post/opinion as Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?Å?talking downÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ to anyone. IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m simply supporting thinking things throughÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

I think most teenage boys want a huge snakeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ and most can come up with a 30 gal tankÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ but I think an exceptionally small percent of them would ever be able to properly house that huge snakeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ So let me again ask the Author here to consider how his life & priorities may change over the next 5, 10, or 15 yearsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

eddyjack

I've been planning for a couple of months now and excited to bring a Tegue into our family however, after reading some of the replies to this simple question about the posibilities for a 30 gal. tank, it makes me a little reluctant at best to ask anything, for the bashing I might receive. I know NOTHING about snakes, not much at all about reptiles other than in general (yet), but I don't think this person is ill prepared or jumping into something without regard to his responsibility, otherwise F69erFred would not be asking in the first place. I have been looking at all the Tegues I can find, asking all the questions I can think of even calling the owner of this site today! So here goes, I am building a 4' by 8' (yes 4 foot by 8 foot) enclosure for a Hatchling or Yearling Tegue. It will be in a large room in my home where it can be seen and see us. Thus allowing us to interact with it and prepare to tame it. I am educating myself on everything before I bring one home as this is a big responsibility and I recognize that. Dare I ask "Whatcha think bout dat"?
Thank you for listening to my rant!
P.S. F69erFred, good luck with your 30 gal. tank and your BIG snake.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
eddyjack said:
I've been planning for a couple of months now and excited to bring a Tegue into our family however, after reading some of the replies to this simple question about the posibilities for a 30 gal. tank, it makes me a little reluctant at best to ask anything, for the bashing I might receive. I know NOTHING about snakes, not much at all about reptiles other than in general (yet), but I don't think this person is ill prepared or jumping into something without regard to his responsibility, otherwise F69erFred would not be asking in the first place. I have been looking at all the Tegues I can find, asking all the questions I can think of even calling the owner of this site today! So here goes, I am building a 4' by 8' (yes 4 foot by 8 foot) enclosure for a Hatchling or Yearling Tegue. It will be in a large room in my home where it can be seen and see us. Thus allowing us to interact with it and prepare to tame it. I am educating myself on everything before I bring one home as this is a big responsibility and I recognize that. Dare I ask "Whatcha think bout dat"?
Thank you for listening to my rant!
P.S. F69erFred, good luck with your 30 gal. tank and your BIG snake.

Sorry you believe you will be bashed for asking any question on this site. I don't think you would but anywho...

Now about that hatchling in a 4' by 8' enclosure. I would minimize the space while taming it. That's a lot of space for a little one, hard to tame them when they're running from ya.

...Jefroka

eddyjack

I wondered about the excessive size myself at first and I appreciate your advise. I feel that in a high traffic area in my home and if I take the time which I will, to simply sit at the enclosure hoping the curiousity will cause the Tegue to come to me as I will allow it it's own agenda for doing so. I can certainly build a smaller enclosure for the time being however, don't they grow quite rapidly?
Thanks again for your reply.

eddyjack

Schweeeet! Thanks, I will resume my construction of one kick butt "Varnyard" Tegue enclosure with the revised frame design for partitions. My little girls are excited with this project and the new addition to our family as well.

Thank you!

eddyjack

By the way we now just need to decide which breed of Tegue we are going to get from "Varnyard" any suggestions on that? So far we like the "All American" and the "Black and White" Argentines of course.

Thanks again

Jefroka

5 Year Member
eddyjack said:
Schweeeet! Thanks, I will resume my construction of one kick butt "Varnyard" Tegue enclosure with the revised frame design for partitions. My little girls are excited with this project and the new addition to our family as well.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. Look forward to seeing pictures.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam