• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Early Brumation?!

Phlip5150

I live in NJ so it's still Summer. My female Argentine Black and White Tegu and my Bearded Dragon I think went into Brumation. Is this normal this early? I have both of their basking temps and all temps perfectly. Weird thing is I have had my Beardie for 6 years and this is her first time. Any info please!!

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
I would suggest looking at your Temps again. If you're saying you've had your bearded for six years and has never done that, then chances are something is off. But to be honest animals are more in tune with nature and they may be sensing that it's getting darker earlier and colder. I live in maine and August is usually the hottest month but the last 2 years it's been cool, specially at night. I wouldn't worry too much but I will say keep an eye on them.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I live in NJ so it's still Summer. My female Argentine Black and White Tegu and my Bearded Dragon I think went into Brumation. Is this normal this early? I have both of their basking temps and all temps perfectly. Weird thing is I have had my Beardie for 6 years and this is her first time. Any info please!!
I'd have to go looking into data on Pogona, but in regards to your tegus, they start preparing for brumation shortly after the summer solstice which was nearly 2 months ago...so I wouldn't necessarily call this early. During this "preparation" period, you will see a lot less eating, activity, less basking, often "sleeping" several days, maybe even weeks at a time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980