• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

dumb question

steve

5 Year Member
do tegus need heat to digest or is it just helpful or is it not needed at all?? and how much is too much to feed she has eaten 2 medium large mice and a good sized ball of ground beef today

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Heat is very important for digestion. 90-105 basking checked with a TempGun.

How old is the Tegu? For the first year they can eat as much as they want. We only feed rodents once per week and rotate different proteins, ground turkey, tilapia, etc. Ground beef has too much fat in it, go with extra lean ground turkey.

steve

5 Year Member
ok im not sure how old she is but shes a hair over 3 feet in length. i have read on the care sheet here and it did say beef i mistook that as ground beef. as for the fish are we talking fish from the super market. of course i assume fresh caught fish is best. i hate to ask so many question but a food list is so general and i really want to do right for her

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our 18 month old female B&W is about 39", I'm told that's big for that age but she didn't hibernate last year. Yours might be able to take a small rat depending on the size of her heads. Ours can.

This is a great list, if not a bit overwhelming.

http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353

If you feed any beef, only feed the organs, lots of iron and protein.

We feed tilapia fillets (fresh or frozen).

They aren't much into bugs at that size, maybe large roaches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.