• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dubia roach colony

philzoso513

I've been trying to decide about starting a dubia roach colony for months now. My biggest fear is having escapes taking over my house. I've researched them and I know they can't fly or climb glass. Also that normal room temperatures would be too cold for them. I hate buying crickets all the time and housing them for the smell. Just would like to hear from a few people that keep colonies and their experience before I make my up my mind.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use to have two large colonies. I never had problems with them getting out of the tubs, but they did get out of enclosures every once in a while. In my experience they can survive at room temperatures, but not reproduce.

philzoso513

Ok. The guy at my local pet store keeps a colony and he said that he has had a few escape but it wasn't a problem. Just curious how big was your tegu before it stopped taking roaches. I mainly want to do this as a secondary food source for my savannah monitor.

Maro1

I have had them escape. However my house is too dry and you find them dried up and dead. Never saw one walking around anywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you live in a tropical environment.

Maro1

philzoso513

Thanks for replies. That does ease my fears about starting a colony. I know when I buy a 1000 or 2000 crickets I always have a few strays in the house. And it's not been a problem. Sounds like the dubia roaches would be the same

Diesel

Yeah like other people were saying i doubt where you live will let the roaches survive none the less reproduce. I have a colony and found it somewhat easy to sustain. plus my lizards really like them :). If one escapes in my house, i find it a day later dead so i wouldn't worry about escapes. Just keep them fed, moist, and warm! you'll do good! they reproduce somewhat quickly if you take care of them correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff