• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Drako’s thread! (Photo heavy!)

firfy

a2543869a0321e67329a0727e31d9550.jpg

She just woke up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the big picture. I'm still trying to determine if my baby is a female or not. She's only 6 months I think.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
good luck! Hope she is a female like you hoped!

Firfy....I had to give you an update to the hopes of a female that we just talked about earlier today...... My Skully is chasing my young (baby) around the tank bobbing, and biting, and shaking.....and unless he just doesn't have a clue. Captain is a female. She's so young!!!!! He needs to leave her alone!! LOL As soon as I think that, she gets away from him, then heads back for more attention. Skully is doing a very nice job of puffing his jowls. Very rapidly. He's got it bad.

firfy

You should probably separate them, if your male is biting at the female, then your female could get hurt, and if he decides to bite her tail, she might just drop it, is your enclosure big enough so that they can easily get away from each other

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Oh my gosh - we're at this very moment putting in the new bigger vivarium.. - and no the original is not really big enough! She's biting him back. She's not happy with it! I didn't think about this happening with her. (didn't know she was a "her" until today) :oops:
--------------
OK...Her tail is intact. I think we're good for now. I think she's only about 6 months, maybe 7? I've got to look into this. They've been together for more than 2 months, and he just started this today I think. I could keep them separated - it wouldn't be a problem. I just thought they were such great buddies together. He calmed down, and seemed happy to have the company.

@Walter1 where are you?? I need some sage advice here! Like...how long will this go on? It's a season, right?? @ALPHA Alpha!! @Zyn!! @Mamasaurus!! Anybody!!

Last edited:

firfy

Well my only advice is to separate them, and if you really want to put them together wait until she is a bit older and bigger, but I definitely would wait for more experienced people to answer as I am getting my second tegu this week

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Well my only advice is to separate them, and if you really want to put them together wait until she is a bit older and bigger, but I definitely would wait for more experienced people to answer as I am getting my second tegu this week

Thanks Firfy! I'm glad you told me about that. It seemed pretty brutal, and I ended up putting him into a tub (not a cold shower - lol) just to keep them apart.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pull'em apart. Male's amourous. New one may well be a female but immature. Don't even let them see each other.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Different latitude equals diff. daylengths. Daylength very strongly affecys tegu behaviors. In S. Cal., now might be mating time. It's over in Miami, for example.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks so much - He's now in the new huge tank, and she's in the old one. He cannot see her, but I'm thinking he knows she's there. Her tank is next to his. My gosh he was persistent.
Different latitude equals diff. daylengths. Daylength very strongly affecys tegu behaviors. In S. Cal., now might be mating time. It's over in Miami, for example.
Do you know how long the season is? And can I change the lighting to affect the daylight and his amorous....ness? Lol

Debita

1,000+ Post Club

Thanks Firfy for your help - There was just no sign of his intentions toward her, until the very day the new enclosure was being installed. Good break for me I guess. When I saw how hard she was trying to get away...it freaked me out. She wanted no part of it, and most likely wondered what got into him. He was not going to give up. Phew! The world of Tegus! (He kind of looked at me as if I was interfering - kind of quizzically) Lol

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks so much - He's now in the new huge tank, and she's in the old one. He cannot see her, but I'm thinking he knows she's there. Her tank is next to his. My gosh he was persistent.

Do you know how long the season is? And can I change the lighting to affect the daylight and his amorous....ness? Lol
Whereever it's been noted down, mating season lasts about 6 weeks, usually less a few weeks, brief.

Once she's big enough, she'll be able to hold her own. Exceptions of course, but that is what's typical.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think I'd try to alter daylength. I would rather just work with it.

Anyway, good save on separating. Now without stress, she can eat and grow comfortably.

rats

5 Year Member
1d1280d8d8d803c7c4e71a145c08c376.jpg

She loves sitting in the sun

Nice blue tint from the sunlight! That's more than my boy shows. Here's a photo of him as a baby, and grown up. The jowls are pretty noticeable, so I think you have a girl :)

Foley baby.jpg
Foley tegu.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced