• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

doing the right thing?

wyattroa

5 Year Member
Just wonder if im going about this the right way. So far i have been trying to tame my tegu since i got her on july 13th. Right from the start she was a little pistol. Maybe not as bad as others. She has never tried to bite me or tail whipped me. Now on occasion she will wiggle her tail.

When i first enter the room she is in i just sit by the cage and read for about 20 minutes. Then i will open the top of the cage and wait another 2-3 minutes before resting my hand in the cage. After that i move my hand closer to her and rest it there. She will taste me and then keep basking.. I'll pet her and then pick her up. She hates being held so she gets up onto my shoulder ASAP.

I bring her into the bathroom where there is already food in her bin. I set her int here and let her eat for a while. I then take her out and sit in the bath tub with her for around an hour. Most of the time she just wants to get in back of me and lay by the base of my butt.

Then i let her run around the bathroom for about another 30 minutes to hour. At this time she will come by me but keeps a close eye on me. She will let me pick her up but then within minutes she will take off. Other times she has laid on me and let me pet her, not too often though. During this time it seems like her primary goal is to really just walk around. She will walk up to me, taste me, and then start walking the other way.

When it is time to put her back in her cage i pick her up and goes to my shoulder.. once in her room she knows she is going back in her cage and starts to do anything she can to get in there. Once in her cage i will pet her some more and rest my hand by her.

This is the process i have been going through since i got her. At first she would take of like a bat out of hell.. She doesnt do that anymore so there has been progress made. Im just wondering why it is she still does not trust me. She does have a hide that she rarely ever goes in anymore, temps are right, and diet is good. Eats like a pig.

Any tips would be great..or suggestions

robert

wyattroa

5 Year Member
thanks.. i feel im doing everything right.. i was just wondering if there were a couple more tips out there..lol
robert

herper9

5 Year Member
I've read more than once on this site that people will wear the same shirt for a few days than throw it in the cage with the tegu. That way they get even more used to your smell.

AWD247

5 Year Member
You don't have to wear it for a few days, just keep a recently worn shirt in the cage daily, it works pretty good
what I do is everyday after work I just put my undershirt in the enclosure

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
I do the same thing, I swap out shirts everyday or every other day. I actually have one shirt in his hide box and one out in the open of the enclosure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me