1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Doing hibernation correctly.

Discussion in 'Tegu Hibernation' started by beardeddragon111, Sep 23, 2017.

1. beardeddragon111

beardeddragon111 Active Member

Basically, im wondering how I should go about hibernating. Should I leave her in her enclosure, and simply but her on a different light cycle, or move her into another, smaller container with just substrate and a water bowl?
  2. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

I'd leave her in her enclosure and change her light schedule. Play by ear as she may sleep solidly or intermittentlt for 1-4 mo.
  3. beardeddragon111

What light cycle would you recommend? Also, should I go without feeding while she's in hibernation?
  4. beardeddragon111

Temps are another thing that confuse me. Do they change anything a whole lot? Because I know of people who keep them at basically room temperature, than some like Bert Langerwarf, while supposedly hibernate his under snow during the winter.
  5. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

They'll sleep in the dark at 59-63 F. It will begin to slow down soon, then cut back food, drop light to 8 hrs. Once it sleeps, provide a heat lamp at far end for several hrs/day. Allow it access to a dark hide.