• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Django the Tegu

Django

Hi my name is Javon and I'm new to this whole Reptile thing after about a couple months of Research I decided to get a tegu!

I got my amazing little (Guy or girl) about 5 days ago a Colombian b&w I was a bit worried after I heard about the "bad rep" that they have but after getting to know Django I found out it's not at all true, well at least for mine, he's an absolute delight he's never hissed or tried to bite and or huff and puff at me, he was a bit skittish at first but he just mellowed out after a couple hours. I make sure to handle and let him roam every day.

He like to explore and get into things he's not supposed to, and eats like a champ (ground turkey chicken gizzard and hear mix with Calcium d3 dust) and just lazes around and basking.

He's approx 13 inches long I don't know how that correlates to age, if someone can help me that'd be great, also if someone can help how to figure out his sex without probing that also be great!

He's setup in a 40 gallon breeder tank with Eco Earth Coconut Fiber about 4-5 inches deep a water bowl big enough for him to soak in and a nice hide I made myself, I have the uvb and basking lamp setup also. My dad knows how to build and do wood work so we're looking forward to building his custom enclosure once he gets bigger down the road.!

Also I'm more than open to any tips, advice , taming and handling suggestions!

IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4062.JPG IMG_4063.JPG

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi my name is Javon and I'm new to this whole Reptile thing after about a couple months of Research I decided to get a tegu!

I got my amazing little (Guy or girl) about 5 days ago a Colombian b&w I was a bit worried after I heard about the "bad rep" that they have but after getting to know Django I found out it's not at all true, well at least for mine, he's an absolute delight he's never hissed or tried to bite and or huff and puff at me, he was a bit skittish at first but he just mellowed out after a couple hours. I make sure to handle and let him roam every day.

He like to explore and get into things he's not supposed to, and eats like a champ (ground turkey chicken gizzard and hear mix with Calcium d3 dust) and just lazes around and basking.

He's approx 13 inches long I don't know how that correlates to age, if someone can help me that'd be great, also if someone can help how to figure out his sex without probing that also be great!

He's setup in a 40 gallon breeder tank with Eco Earth Coconut Fiber about 4-5 inches deep a water bowl big enough for him to soak in and a nice hide I made myself, I have the uvb and basking lamp setup also. My dad knows how to build and do wood work so we're looking forward to building his custom enclosure once he gets bigger down the road.!

Also I'm more than open to any tips, advice , taming and handling suggestions!

View attachment 12999 View attachment 13000 View attachment 13001

Welcome. Healthy-looking tegu. I'm seeing more Colombians being kept so a good resource here for their care.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome and hello ....i also have a colombian I've had mine about 14 months but im not sure on age as mine was a rescue and Alpha has also being a delight from start ..

Teguixin.22

Its not so much the columbian black and whites that have the bad rep, moreso the true Columbian gold tegus, which are different species. There's a bit of confusion on that; from what i understand columbian black and whites are a variant of S.merianae, and the gold tegus are T.teguixin. From my limited experience thus far with teguixin, they are kind of flighty but nothing i wouldn't expect from a young lizard. Time will tell when mine gets older i suppose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980