• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Digression and Scheduling

batmanvtx

Howdy again folks. I have a few questions.

1) It has been 3 and a half weeks since I got Cinder home. I was able to hold him quite a bit at first. Now he runs from me and I cant even pet him. He never huffs, bites, or whips. Just hauls tail when i get close. I put my hand in the cage and leave it there hoping he will come but he backs away. Any help here? I wont try for too long as i dont want him to associate me with terror.

2) I work all day and he almost always comes out during that time so i dont see him for 4 or 5 days at a time. Is this hurting my ability to tame him and is there a way I can adjust his feeding/ lighting schedule to get him to come out in the evenings when I am home?

3) I really love this little guy and I am ding everything I can to do this the right way, so any help would be appreciated. I know they can take a while but it seems like were going in reverse. Maybe Im being too worrysome but Id rather reach out to my new friends (yall) than to wing it from here.

Thanks yall.

bfb345

Try putting a shirt that you have worn inside of his hide and he will start to associate you with warmth and comfort and just work and mess around in his cage for a while he will start to get used to you it takes time and patience

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The process takes time, much more than three weeks, each one's different but they eventually come around to one degree or another. You can try changing his schedule with the lights, sometimes it works and sometimes they choose their own. If you do, it might be easier if he's kept in a dark room with out access to natural lighting outside.

batmanvtx

bfb345 said:
Try putting a shirt that you have worn inside of his hide and he will start to associate you with warmth and comfort and just work and mess around in his cage for a while he will start to get used to you it takes time and patience

Ive heard that before. The reason I havent done this yet, however, is that he doesnt use his hide. He burrows in the substrate in random locations. He is by no means predictable.

Bubblz Calhoun said:
The process takes time, much more than three weeks, each one's different but they eventually come around to one degree or another. You can try changing his schedule with the lights, sometimes it works and sometimes they choose their own. If you do, it might be easier if he's kept in a dark room with out access to natural lighting outside.

I had kinda figured that it would take longer than three weeks for him to adjust. I just didnt expect the reverse process that has been happening and wanted to place countermeasures in in the case it would hurt his trust in me. I have him next to a window but with dark curtains so the only light he really gets is the basking and uvb. I will try adjusting his schedule to see if that works. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff