• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Diet

Tegudude88

So I ordered some sheep,pheasant, and rabbit from hare today and I was wondering which of these meats would it be best to mix cod liver oil in?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I believe the oil is for absorption of vitamins from the animal liver.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Like i put cut up beef liver in with ground meat and calcium and cod liver oil

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Tegudude88

Bobby hill says to feed turkey/beef liver once a week and the turkey with cod liver oil is separate twice a week to cancel out the beef liver.im sure it doesn't make a difference but I already have alot of turkey/beef liver portioned in bags.what do you think would be most compatible to put the oil in?

tommylee22

You don't need suplaments with whole ground animals. I've not added anything to biggins food and he's huge! Dusted his bugs back when he was a month old after I got the food ordered from hare today gone tomorrow, I've not added anything

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
If the food is "whole" (bones, muscle meat and organ meat), then I would only supplement by adding fruits and vegetables to the mix. Only dust foods that do not contain bones (I prefer Repashy's Calcium PLUS supplement) like pure meat, insects and fruit/veggies.

I don't know why Bobby insisted on giving his tegus Cod Liver Oil PLUS liver... Both foods are extremely high in the fat soluble vitamins A and D (which can become toxic if too much is given)... And I believe too much fish oil can lead to a vitamin E deficiency. Domestic pets who are fed homemade diets which utilize fish oils (usually fish BODY oils) need to be supplemented with vitamin E.

For humans "Per tablespoon (13.6g), cod liver oil contains 136% of the established daily Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for Preformed Vitamin A (Retinol). Vitamin A accumulates in body fat, and can reach harmful levels sufficient to cause hypervitaminosis A." And then liver? I wouldn't personally feed CLO to my tegus or other pets. Salmon Oil is a much better choice in my opinion but simply feeding fish high in oils would be just as good.

Tegudude88

I've given him cod liver oil 4 times in the past two weeks and he shed today on his own for the first time on his own.so I'm stickin with it aha

tommylee22

Good food and proper temps with a constant humidity at 65 gives me great sheds every time. Never have given any supplements outside of cal dusted Dubois back when my gu was a little guy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you mind sharing how you keep him? Enclosure type/size, temps - basking and cool side, humidity, how do you measure temps and humidity, what are you using for substrate, and diet? Pics would be awesome as well.

Tegudude88

He's in a 8 by 4 enclosure his hot side is around 85, basking spot is 95 and the cool side is 72.a thermometer and humidity gauge I got at a reptile expo.turkey/beef liver, mice,salmon,and chicken gizzards & hearts

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is the gauge analog or digital? What are you using for substrate? Can you post pics of the enclosure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980