• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

diet and runny nose

RobK.

Last week i gave my Rhino a large amount water cress and for three days after he had a bad runny and way more than normal snalting . so diet most deferentially can cause CLEAR running of the nose . He does that every time he eats any big amount of water cress . also a increase in humidity can also do that from what i have read .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
RobK. said:
Last week i gave my Rhino a large amount water cress and for three days after he had a bad runny and way more than normal snalting . so diet most deferentially can cause CLEAR running of the nose . He does that every time he eats any big amount of water cress . also a increase in humidity can also do that from what i have read .

I give both my rhino and cuban watercress and i dont notice there nose running alot,they snalt the same as usual.But i mix it in with arugula,springmix,watercress,mazuri chow.Now the only difference is my humidity stays pretty much within the same range most of the time,45 to 55% and they seem fine.

RobK.

frost said:
dont those species tend to secrete exess water through their nose?

could be , i would not be surprised
I put a whole watercress plant/bundle without the roots in his cage and he tore into that thing .But the next few days he had a runny nose . I did have a vet say that they lose extra water that way . I thought they would just pee extra water . But ???? . They may be dumping extra salt or minerals that sneezing/snalting just can keep up with , ?? Just a though,

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I remember when I had my rhino in a glass tank, big mistake, he snalted a lot and it was all over the glass, cleaning that was a constant pain, he was fed mostly dandelions, collards and tortoise chow, don't know what made him snalt so much

teguboy77

5 Year Member
As far as i know the snalting is a way for them to remove remove excess salt from there body,because they dont sweet like us humans do.So they have glands near there nose were the salt is stored and they sneeze it out when needed.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would think that if there was a need to excrete extra salt, then there would be a need to excrete extra water as well. Certainly the kidneys play a large role, but snalting seems to indicate a liquid medium used there as well. Lizards that live in arid climates such as uros expel salt but in a drier form. More salt expulsion just leads to a build up of more crystals and not more water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029