• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Darrow's adult enclosure! [custom build]

Zyn

Looks great! Did you use dry lock on the inside? Also have your plants survived mine didn’t make it a day lol

MUYA

With what kind of bit? Sorry I have that same rock but no idea what I should use to cut an opening lol willing to buy a dremmel but not sure what the best setup is

rantology

Looks great! Did you use dry lock on the inside? Also have your plants survived mine didn’t make it a day lol
Thanks! I do have long term plants so far! (6 months) - I've updated the original post with current pictures. It's been a bit of trial and error. I've learned that Schefflera varieties are extremely hardy and that one in the back right of the enclosure has been there from the start and has gone through hell and back (he tries to climb and smush and has dug a little around it) and has never so much as dropped a leaf or snapped a branch. I recently added a Hibiscus tree that I got for 5$ on clearance a month ago and it's been exploding. It seems to be very sturdy as well so I have high hopes for it (I also take the flowers and feed them to my bearded dragon)... Aside from that the short decorative grasses seem to do very well too. I tried a tall grass but he ended up smushing that one quite a bit so I moved it out.

Drylok: No, not on my build though I know it is very popular. Melamine is already pre-treated and moisture proofed aside from the core material. The wooden support structure was covered using a thick coat of white FlexSeal as well as any exposed melamine core material. In combination with Silicone for any corners or gaps/cracks. So far it's all held up quite nicely. Oh, and the bottom is lined with a heavy duty pond liner.

rantology

With what kind of bit? Sorry I have that same rock but no idea what I should use to cut an opening lol willing to buy a dremmel but not sure what the best setup is
Circular cutting head, they look like this:
asdf.JPG

The cheapo 20-30$ dremel kit I bought had this head in the box with it

Last edited:

Tegu_daddy618

This is one of my favoite builds I have seen thus far. I will be replicating it with my handy wood working skills. Lets see if I can duplicate and if so I will do a Video Series and put it on the tube and let yall know.

izlovesfishing

This is so awesome! I'm trying to convince my dad to start a tegu enclosure project with me. How much was the total cost of the build and materials for the enclosure itself (excluding décor, substrate, lighting etc)? Is it easy to keep the smell down in both the enclosure and room?

Tegu_daddy618

This is so awesome! I'm trying to convince my dad to start a tegu enclosure project with me. How much was the total cost of the build and materials for the enclosure itself (excluding décor, substrate, lighting etc)? Is it easy to keep the smell down in both the enclosure and room?
As someone who woodworks a bit. You are looking at 600 to 700 at todays prices. That screen door is 275 by itself. Im looking to re engineering thos exact setup after my 3 tier is finished.

Landofthelost!

This was the most amazing enclosure I think I’ve seen! Wonderful job guys!!! I am so scared to continue the enclosure I am working on, I’m not far into it but your information was so great and lead me into the direction I needed to go. And to know what paint and stuff to use and how to go about reptile and moisture proofing the wood. Thank you what were the dimensions of the rock hide you got if I can ask?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced