• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cyclura Iguanas

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are a few of you on here who currently have rhino's, why did you decide to go with a rhino over another species? It seems like while there are "tame" rhinos, they do require more work and can be more aggressive than caymans or cubans.
Do you feel that they should be fed animal protein? I've seen that it can help growth but others say it can lead to organ failure and reduced lifespan. Though it looks like most keepers feed them a vegetarian diet.

herpgirl2510

I saw two adult rhinos at NERD in NH and they were the coolest looking lizard I had ever seen and I loved the personlity on them. They were built like little bull dogs.
Not to say other cyculara don't but I know nothing about them.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wish we had more iguanas in our area, I only see the green iguanas when I go to reptile places. Poorly kept ones at that. I would love to see some of these guys in person.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A facebook friend of mines has an adult rhino iguana, i watched him grow up over over the past 6-7 years, he is one of the tamest rhino iguanas i ever seen, he has pics of him sleeping with his son(who is the same age as the iguana) i was into green iguanas and after seeing that particular iguana and doing a lil research i knew i wanted one, took me like 4 years before i actually got one, they are hard work but not more than most other large reptiles, i am more partial to the rhino's than the lewisi hybrids and the cubans more so because they just have that prehistoric look to them, as far as animal protein i did give mine some as a treat, his staple was grass, greens, dandelion and veggies and this is what he was fed 95% of the time, i kept it at a bare minimum, they are great reptiles and i cant wait to own another one someday

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I saw some Rhinos at a local pet store and thought they were awesome. I did a little research and ordered one. I have fed mine one pinky mouse twice in the 8 months I have had him.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well i had my first green iguana when i was 11 years old and that was cause i always liked dinosaurs and what not lol,so my parents said if i got a good report they would they would get me a anole,well the guy at the petstore talked them into getting me a juvi green iguana which died on my from no uvb,bad diet was a kid guy at petstore prolly didnt care.Anyway about 9 years ago i saw steve irwin on animal planet showing off this prehistoric looking lizard looking like a miniature rhinoceros and herd steve irwin say the were a cyclura iguana and got my first one a couple years later from Ron St. pierre in 2005.Now i have a russets rhino from rob ehrig.Rhino 's are my favorite lizard by far then tegus.As far as rhino's being more aggressive i dont think so and i've kept greens and keep my rhino now,patience and not pushing yourself on them really helps gain there trust to become docile in my opinion.I stick with greens,some fruit,Mazuri tortoise chow,and i've gave mine a couple unthawed rat pups,but not many like two a month.I stick with greens and chow 95% of time.

RobK.

the horns !!
so far my green iguanas were more aggressive than the two rhinos i have had . Greens are so common i didn't want another one . I fell in love with Rhino Iguana's when i saw one reptile store in Chico Calif. over 10 years ago . Just didn't have the space or time for one until know . I spent at least 3 hours a day or more , in the room with mine . Just reading or on the computer , like now . So he's getting very use to me .
Maro1 said:
Well because he looked like Dino from the Flintstones :)

+1 !!:D

Maro1

My Rhino is much more calm than any Green Iguana I've ever had. I'd like to try the other Cyclura species but I am betting they are the same way.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah my green iguanas were more aggressive to i had a male one bite me in the face so yes more aggressive lol.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
No scar it bit me on the side of my face in my side burn,the good thing it did hold on,i pulled him off and then the blood came pooring out,not a huge cut but a cut the size of his mouth.I was cleaning his cage and my brother came in the room with his male iguana and mine was on my shoulder and i guess he got scared or upset and i went to turn my head to tell my brother leave the room and bam he got me.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
:)Lol this is true,my brother does owe me one,still never got nothing from him for that lmao.I'mn glad it wasnt a full grown green iguana i might not have a ear then my brother would owe me one of his lol.:)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
A facebook friend of mines has an adult rhino iguana, i watched him grow up over over the past 6-7 years, he is one of the tamest rhino iguanas i ever seen, he has pics of him sleeping with his son(who is the same age as the iguana) i was into green iguanas and after seeing that particular iguana and doing a lil research i knew i wanted one, took me like 4 years before i actually got one, they are hard work but not more than most other large reptiles, i am more partial to the rhino's than the lewisi hybrids and the cubans more so because they just have that prehistoric look to them, as far as animal protein i did give mine some as a treat, his staple was grass, greens, dandelion and veggies and this is what he was fed 95% of the time, i kept it at a bare minimum, they are great reptiles and i cant wait to own another one someday

digging up an older thread... was it this rhino? all of these videos are adorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4z9dNS5Ow8&feature=relmfu

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Thats a really cool video i've watched it like 10 times lol,nice rhino thats for sure,hope mine turns out like that.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
Thats a really cool video i've watched it like 10 times lol,nice rhino thats for sure,hope mine turns out like that.:)

same here
every time some one comes to see my rhino, i show them his videos .

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I love all those videos lol. It's crazy that they can become that mellow, especially after seeing videos of how timid and flighty the babies can be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kid3zoo