• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Considering a Tegu... what to look for (rehoming)

Jake001

We are considering purchasing a 2.5 year old Tegu. I don’t have much background info on this lizard and I am wondering what to look for when getting a rehomed Tegu?

I have done some research and feel pretty confident in the care etc. We will be building an enclosure suitable for him if we decide to get.

I don’t have much experience with lizards, but do keep a reef tank, dart frogs and a leopard gecko.

Here are a couple of pics of the guy being considered.. thanks so much for the help!
DEE3BB24-CEE3-4D64-A177-266FA0F91608.jpeg
347DD664-145A-4748-B292-311561F545EB.jpeg

Jake001

Good looking young male. Why is he being given up?

We don’t know for sure, we will be asking questions tomorrow.

Are there any indicators etc. to look for that can show possible issues? I know all are unique, but as in my other hobbies there are things you want to avoid right off the bat. Thanks for the help.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some basic warning signs:

Skinny thighs
Skinny waist
gurgling when breathing
Nasal discharge.

These are obvious red flags. As Guman suggests, you want vet records.

Godzilla Earth

to me he looks good, but he might have some kind of other problem so monitor his breathing. if you hear him wheezing than go to the vet.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also, make sure he walks properly and parts of him don't quiver. That'd be metabolic bone disease(MBD).

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some basic warning signs:

Skinny thighs
Skinny waist
gurgling when breathing
Nasal discharge.

These are obvious red flags. As Guman suggests, you want vet records.
Also, make sure he walks properly and parts of him don't quiver. That'd be metabolic bone disease(MBD).

All great points.

GUT INSTINCT ......... does he look bright eyed and healthy..... :D

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Gut instinct....yes - he's beautiful, doesn't look like he's missing toes, or has been abused. My guess is that the owner isn't able to handle the routine anymore. Adding to Walter1's recommends....I'd say the tail is also supposed to be thick and not skinny. So - thick at the top by his legs is good. (I think his looks good.)

If I was thinking about doing what you're doing, I'd really want to see how he reacts to me. Personally. Might seem obvious, but if he was treated well, he most likely won't "start" or be freaked out with most things. If no one can hold him at all, he needs some dedicated training to gain trust with you. Probably worth it, but might not be your capacity because it could take awhile. 2.5 yrs is usually a time where the animal has calmed down - passed through puberty (1-2yrs) and is easier to contend with. These aren't easy animals, because they're smart and wily. People have quoted them as being "masters of escape". That said, I love mine, and would get more if I had the space! Good luck!!

Do you get a couple days of assessment?

bocacash

5 Year Member
He looks fantastic...good size, fat tail & thighs, big jowls...and, it looks like he likes to/is used to getting petted ! BIG plus if he is cool with people ! Watch for the things others said here...and, if he were mine, I'd get his nails blunted. They pull and dig to move around and his look like they could slice skin easily... even if he didn't mean to. Blunting/clipping the very tips does NOT reduce their ability to burrow...one of their favorite things ! Good Luck !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu