• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cod liver oil

jamesnyborg

Hey guys, I was wondering where is the best place to buy cod live oil. I plan on mixing it with ground turkey but the only place that I know has it are the vitamin stores. Can i get it at grocery stores?

Logie_Bear

We have a huuuuuge grocery store in our town that carries everything under the sun. I found some there in the healthfood / vegan food section. It was like 15$ a bottle.

jamesnyborg

Yeah i checked today at the grocery store and all they have is the pill form of the cod liver oil. I need the liquid to mix it with the ground turkey.

aambumann

I just bought some the other day, I found it our local grocery store, Hyvee, in the vitamin isle. A 4oz. bottle was $8.00 and the big bottle was $32.00.

Compnerd7

Sometimes, it is cheaper to get the pills, then poke them with a needle and drain the Cod Liver Oil out. That's what I do, because you can buy huge amounts of the pills for cheap at Costco.

Doesn't hurt taking some yourself either, helps your own skin ;)

kim86

How often should one add cod liver oil into their tegus food? My dude has some tail shed that's being a butt and not coming off too fast, so I'm thinking adding it into his diet would be muy beuno.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I didn't see any at Walmart in bottles, but Rite Aid on Long Island has it for $12 for a 12oz bottle.

aambumann

Here are a couple of care sheet links from 2 of the bigger breeders. Basically 1 table spoon or 15 ml per pound of ground turkey. http://www.teguterra.com/tegucaresheet.htm
http://www.varnyard-herps.com/

It also says to feed in conjunction with 1 part beef liver to 3 parts ground turkey. Feed each item once a week as a meal. It seems these two menu items work off each other. I am not an expert of any kind, I have only just added a Red Tegu hatchling to my collection, but this is some of the info I have discovered while reading about Tegus. Maybe someone with more hands on knowledge can help you more with this.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
its so much easier to raise cod and cut out 3/4 of their livers.
Dont worry - the liver regenerates, just keep the incision clean with betadine.
and discourage any alcohol consumption.
It keeps a steady supply of cod liver oil on hand and its self sustaining.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980