• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cod liver oil not as good as thought??

wes

5 Year Member
i just red an article of a norwegian reasearcher on cod liver oil who claim that using this a long time makes bones more fragile,studie was done on norwegian woman who took the oil from childhood on and those who never used it and according to that researcher it is because the high amount of vitamine a in the oil which binds fat inside the body or so and makes bones fragile,if this is true could this have an effect on our tegu's as well?

what u guys think?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Was she drinking it? Almost anything in excess can be dangerous. I only add a tablespoon per pound of raw ground turkey.

Tux

5 Year Member
I think a single study proves nothing. vitamins A and D work synergistically, their diets may have lacked sufficient vitamin D which would than cause such issues. The key is to get enough vitamin D to balance with the A. The study you mention was actually done in 2001 and the reasoning that they concluded for the outcome was the vitamin a content being so high in cod liver oil (which has now been reduced in norway). The key is to simply provide enough D to offset the A.

wes

5 Year Member
ok thank you to clarify. so it's just fine to use it for my animals and how often should i give this?1ce a week or more often? i'm planning on giving beef liver 1ce a week as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029