• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

close call

RobK.

went down in the basement to find my Rhino room smelling like hot wires or something . The rheostat i got at pets smart was so hot it burned my hand . This morning the basking bulb burned out that was hooked up to the rheostat , and i returned it . Now the rheostat . :huh: I have had 8 bulbs a rheostat and a CHE all burn out since i got my rhino . I had a electrician check out the wall sockets in my basement , to see if there was a problem after the first 4 bulbs . All was fine . :huh:

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would definately get a second opinion, that how my house burned down, the wires(in the wall) were old and over heated and ignited the dust in the walls, fire inspector said it most likely been brewing for a while but he said you wouldnt be able to smell it (sorta lucky noone was home that day)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RobK. said:
went down in the basement to find my Rhino room smelling like hot wires or something . The rheostat i got at pets smart was so hot it burned my hand . This morning the basking bulb burned out that was hooked up to the rheostat , and i returned it . Now the rheostat . :huh: I have had 8 bulbs a rheostat and a CHE all burn out since i got my rhino . I had a electrician check out the wall sockets in my basement , to see if there was a problem after the first 4 bulbs . All was fine . :huh:

What kind of cords are you using? Are they plugged directly into the wall or do you use Surge Protectors?

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Glad everythings ok and you didnt have fire,but i would find out what the burning wire smell is good luck.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Dang, Rob! Good thing you were home!

Hey, Reptastic, did you have to deal with any sort of insurance issues because of the cause of your fire? Like, were they sketch about covering your damages BECAUSE of how it started (reptile-related)? I'm curious because that's one of my biggest fears--a wire malfunction that causes a fire.

RobK.

Bubblz Calhoun said:

What kind of cords are you using? Are they plugged directly into the wall or do you use Surge Protectors?

I have two surge protectors that everything is plugged into . Not extra cords . Don't they make them with a beakers also ?

wallace&mick

to be honest this sounds like what to my climate control pro II the setting in the computor chip wasn't right and was meant to be able to control 1200 but i had 730 plugged into it and the thermostat got that hot it melted the plastic cage it was attatched too and smelt like a horid burning copper and rubber smell

simular stuff happened in my house once, what was wrong was when it was first built was they didnt wire it right and had too many rooms using one cord. it almost caused a fire but where the cords burned into there was nothing really around and they went out instead of kepeing burning andi had to pull a bunch of wires out and drop a line from my atic down to where my room was and wire my room seperate from the others and i had to do this with 2 other rooms. the ktichen living and bath stil all run but it only flips a breaker if too much is being used. its a serious fire hazard in all honesty. and later on im gonna wire the ktichen abnd bathroom the same and living room seperate. i keep both bed rooms seperate and the spare room seprate. 1 other bathroom is on one of the bed rooms. guess it was a bad over loading basically. too many things running off of one wire/circut can = bad powersurge overload fire ect ect. you need to either dig into all this or get the blue prints to your house like my dad had and see how its wiredo r have someone come out there and tell you how its wired.

RobK.

had another electrician come out and check my house today . he checked at the wall socket with some kind of meter and all checked out ok . I have had my rhino cage in two different room since i got him .Some bulbs burned out in one and some in the other . I got a very nice $$$ surge pertector today at lowes ( not walmart ) and have everything going through it . The rheostat that burned out was not hooked up to a surge protector , i was wrong . Everything is now, and nothing is on the floor or touching the carpet .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.