• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chicken gizzard question ?

Jflorez28

I just bought chicken gizzards to see if my tegu will like it for 2mm , I have a baby red is it safe to feed the gu chicken gizzards if I cut it in small pieces ? And does it give good calcium ?

jdpFL

Anything with bones in it will give better calcium...necks are good, can chop them up and pound them with a tenderizer for the lil ones...:) But we do gizzards too....although our guy doesn't like them as much.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not sure about calcium but it is an alright occasional food, i only say occasional because theyre pretty processed. Cutting them up is fine, i would sill use a calcium supplement with them though.

jdpFL

Of course whole prey....like they'd eat in the wild....and get calcium from the bones. You can also google fruits and veggies that are calcium rich, and then compare it to the thread on here that has the optimal foods list. Any natural calcium is going to be a good choice, then you can dust other foods to add more. We mix it into the ground turkey, etc. You'd be surprised what types of fruits contain high calcium...look it up if you get the chance. Blackberries, pomegranates, okra, butternut squash....just have to make sure it's also a tegu safe food and not also high in something harmful....cross reference. Hope this helps!

got10

chicken necks are good ,gizzards are high in protien , calcium suppliment is a must when giving gizzards .i sometimes give my big guys chicken wings . I am sometime lucky enough to go to the live animal market and get some of the castoff waste aka guts from the chickens ducks and rabbits to feed to my guys . And they are more than happy to be rid of it here in NYC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu