• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Chacoan tegu growth rate...

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Shabazz, as long as he's not thin then I think you're ok at 14 inches. Not all animals eat/grow at the same rate. Boon was right around 17 inches when he started to hunker down and I've only seen him once in the last 2 weeks(popped up for a bit of basking and ate a few bites of beef liver). He's tiny compared to some of the other chacoans but he's got enough weight to hibernate so i'm not worried. Looking forward to his spring growth rates tho :-D .

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Here's my little guy who arrived here on July 29th. I've been concerned about his lack of appetite but he is thinking about going down for the season. His weight is good and, according to the photos, he has grown about 3 inches or so and is sitting at 16-17 inches.

I think I hover and worry too much. LOL He is gorgeous, though! Can't help but sit and stare at him at times.
30216Janes_Robert-med.JPG

olympus

5 Year Member
I had to call Bobby and thank him for the monster he sent me. Look within probably a week or two he has grown again...
IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

This is the pic that I took last time.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
what are your basking temps and ambient temps? how are you getting him to pork out like that in this season?

my little joker is fat, but he's not eating all that much. some fish or pinkies here or their but for the most part he just wanders around or passes out under his heat lamp.

although i put a pair of dubia adults in his tank so now he's got baby roaches and lots of small crickets running around his tank. he might be munching those cause they never seem to get any bigger.

olympus

5 Year Member
I use a powersun 160 watt and the temp is 100 degrees on one side and about 70 something on the other with absolutley no light at all(the cool side). The only thing he likes to eat are mice. For some reason he does not like ground turkey or crickets. He eats either one mouse or five fuzzies a day. I recently moved my cage into the living room so that he can get use to me and calm down...

mushman

5 Year Member
I looked at about 5 stores before I could find it without flavor. I went to Walgreens and found a decent sized bottle for $6. It is very smelly I got the unscented stuff and my hands smelt like fish for hours.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
damn, allmost word for word the same setup as me. 160 watt and all.

do you feed him live pinkys/fuzzies?

my guy'll only eat one every other day or so.

olympus

5 Year Member
IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Her are the pics of my enclosure. I took a pic of the cool and the hot side.
The other pic is an example of the fuzzies that I feed him. On Oct. 18 I have to go to the hamburg show and buy more mice. I'm all out I only have fuzzies...

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, my boy is scarce these days too :( . In a few pay checks(after I get my last pair of ball pythons) i'll hopefully have my own camera and be able to post some shots. Right now the only time I get pictures is when 1) my sister is visiting me and 2) boon happens to be up and about that day. . Your boy is looking large olympus, very nice!

dave

5 Year Member
Kharnifex said:
what are your basking temps and ambient temps? how are you getting him to pork out like that in this season?

my little joker is fat, but he's not eating all that much. some fish or pinkies here or their but for the most part he just wanders around or passes out under his heat lamp.

although i put a pair of dubia adults in his tank so now he's got baby roaches and lots of small crickets running around his tank. he might be munching those cause they never seem to get any bigger.

All those feeders can stress him out, Anything he doesn't eat in 15min. or so should be removed.

olympus

5 Year Member
John thanks.
Yeah Dave I know they can stress him out. He eats everything as soon as put the plate down. I thought about feeding him less for hibernation, but he wakes up every morning at the same time and his appettite has not .

burke0000

5 Year Member
Wow your guy is getting big. My tegu will hardly eat anything since the day I got him. I finally got him to eat two pinks the other day but thats the most he has ever eatin in one sitting.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
yea, my boy ate a roach last night, n half a goldfish, no apetite. he's even picky with chunks of talapia which my big girl goes absolutly nuts for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980