• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

chachi my b&w tegu is a little sucker

goonzo420

5 Year Member
ohkay srry for the strong language but my baby b&w argentine tegu is a schitzo all the time i get near him he breathes so hard i feel i can give him a heart attack.....will he mellow out eventually or is he going to stay the little fucker he is? :evil:

AWD247

5 Year Member
Re: chachi my b&w tegu is a little xxxxxx

Honestly you might just need to take extra time with him & extra patience, your only going to get what you put into the animal. Right now it sounds like you really need to build that trust/ confidence of being safe. I have this problem when I get baby niles, but ive used the same idea on my extreme hatchling, some times you just have to spend a few hours dangling your hand in there, making very slow approches to handle, ( in this state you might want to be ready for a quick tail whip or nip, if its more comfortable for you- you might want to put gloves )
I think getting it in your hands and showing your not going to harm it is most important, dont force it, but work with it as much as possible till your able to.

Sometimes I also stick my hand in and just move the substrate around slowly, not close enough to scare him, but slowly getting closer and watching the body language, eventually getting close enough to touch (not pick up), touching very very lightly for a second or two then starting all over usually works for me, takes a really long time, but works

Goodluck

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Re: chachi my b&w tegu is a little xxxxxx

Try putting him on your shoulder or lay down and have him on your chest, spend some quality time with him to bond. Once he knows you're not a threat to him, he'll settle down, but you must take it very slowly. From your description he is scared still, hence the stressful breathing. Only time and patience can change this, but have confidence in the fact that he should come to rely on you for his needs and acceptance is inevitable.

You are following Bobby Hill's handling guidelines, correct? The seperate feeding bin is the ticket to building that bond IMO and my experience thus far.

Best of luck!

...Jefroka

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I edited the topic on this thread, foul language is not allowed here.

Thanks.

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
goonzo420 said:
ohkay srry for the strong language but my baby b&w argentine tegu is a schitzo all the time i get near him he breathes so hard i feel i can give him a heart attack.....will he mellow out eventually or is he going to stay the little xxxxxx he is? :evil:

Welcome to Tegu talk :-D This is also a forum for kids so foul language is not allowed. Keep it clean :-D

throneofjade

5 Year Member
An idea... put on a hoodie and let your tegu roam around under it. This way it can get used to your smell and feels safe. Also remember never to pull away if he tries to bite you or even if he bites you. If you are holding him and he starts to misbehave don't put him down, because than you will be rewarding bad behavior. He is just testing you. It takes time, but he will calm down. Right now he just thinks you are going to eat him.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Richard21 said:
Any help with a jumping tegu? Once in my hands he jumps out and I'm afraid he can get hurt.

Place him on your shoulder and have one hand over the base of his tail. If he tries to jump close your hand gently to keep him close.

...Jefroka

Richard21

5 Year Member
Once I pick him up almost enough to get him out of his cage he jumps right out. I'm going to try to put him on my shoulder I really need to tame him down.

jarett_Harrison

5 Year Member
myn took like two weeks to let me just pick him up. i spend an hour or two every day with him. i just let him crawl on me while i watch tv. just make sure to try and keep him on a towel. dont want to get pooped on....lol

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
throneofjade said:
When you go to pick him up softly, but quickly move away from his enclosure. If you are anywhere near it he will try to jump to safety. Also be careful with his tail if need be they will let their tails go. He is testing you. Here is an article that might help. http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.php?t=7291&highlight=taming+tegu

Great info. Bobby has lots of info on taming the beast and more experience than most with GUs. But my experience with GUs is that time, gentle handling and building trust will prevail.

JD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me