• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cat food???

tegugirl

5 Year Member
MY tegu has still not ate anything yet since i got her about a month now and she does hide alot, I still try to feed her, but she rarely comes out and i know that she is in hibernation, but the pet stores told me (when i was buying her a pinkie) to feed her some soft cat food. They said that lizards like soft cat food and works just fine, is this true is this the case? They told me to get IAMS kind like turkey or chicken....??? :?:

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I don't know about the cat food. Maybe try some pinkies or ground turkey. Some crickets too. Make sure you provide calcium and multivite dustings.

There were a few threads on here about hibernation recently that might be of interest to you.

povmichael123

5 Year Member
I wouldnt feed your little one IAMS dog food that is like feeding mcdonalds to your animal everyday. Try looking for some Hollistic Select or even some Innova or Evo cat food its high in protein and is very healthy. But be sure to to get dog food dog food does not have as much protein as cat food so just make sure. And when your tegu is in hibernation they dont need to eat so i would just let him/her alone and wait until it wakes up. Have fun with your new one and just let nature take its course.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Don't feed cat food. It is often high in salt and has lots of junk in it that a tegu (especially a young tegu) does not need. And like said above, IAMS is horrible junk food. The pet store is just trying to make a sell because they dont sell ground chicken or turkey. The reason your tegu is not eating is because he is probably trying to hibernate. Tegus sleep all winter and they don't eat. If you are waking him up and trying to force him to eat it will only stress him out.

Wooly

5 Year Member
If your going to feed your tegu cat food try and aim for something natural. I feed my blue tongue skink natural cat food and he loves it.

mr.king

5 Year Member
Yuck don't feed her cat food. I mean you can but I wouldn't disgusting stuff and it's mad fatty would u eat cat food?

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi, I would not feed cat food to anything but cats. It is specifically formulated for cats. And I also wouldnt feed Iams to anything. That said, if your tegu is going into hibernation, ie. not eating, hiding and not basking, I would not try and feed it anything. It will eat loads in the spring when it wakes up. Then you want to feed it rodents, insects, ground turkey with bonemeal, gizzards, liver, beef heart, quail, chicks etc etc etc. Not cat food.

Good luck!
Carole

2368560090033952798S500x500Q85.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.