• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can I take a tegu to the zoo?

Kebechet

Redman said:
Can I take my tegu to the zoo all harnessed up and leashed, when I finally do get one

No, you can't. Zoo's have strict requirements about non-zoo animals being at the zoo. It puts the other animals at risk for parasites/illness, regardless of your reptile's health. It can also disturb and stress out the zoo animals who are used to people, but not other animals.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kebechet said:
Redman said:
Can I take my tegu to the zoo all harnessed up and leashed, when I finally do get one

No, you can't. Zoo's have strict requirements about non-zoo animals being at the zoo. It puts the other animals at risk for parasites/illness, regardless of your reptile's health. It can also disturb and stress out the zoo animals who are used to people, but not other animals.

I agree. You can take it for short walks down the street if you want or for rides. Maybe reptile shows but again, I wouldn't risk the health. Zoos tend to have strict rules as mentioned. If you want to use it for more educative purposes maybe you can see if a local pet shop would let you take it to hang out for a bit. There is a local rep shop near me that always loves to have people stop by with their critters, they clip the nails for free too which is a bonus haha

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why ask us?... Ask the zoo...

Though I highly doubt any zoo would allow it...

james.w said:
Why would you want to put your tegu through the stress anyway?

Hatchlings are easily stressed, but adults commonly do very well in social situations.

I've taken my adult male to local Pet Shops dozens of times, to "Reptile Days" at a local college a couple of times and even to a local dog park. I doubt it would be accurate to say he "enjoys" the attention, but he surely doesn't show any signs of stress during our outings...

Kebechet

rhetoricx said:
Kebechet said:
Redman said:

I agree. You can take it for short walks down the street if you want or for rides. Maybe reptile shows but again, I wouldn't risk the health. Zoos tend to have strict rules as mentioned. If you want to use it for more educative purposes maybe you can see if a local pet shop would let you take it to hang out for a bit. There is a local rep shop near me that always loves to have people stop by with their critters, they clip the nails for free too which is a bonus haha

Are you talking about the place on Cornell? :D I got my Gu's nails trimmed there about six months ago.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yeah them theyre not too far from my house. thats where i got my savy.

Redman

5 Year Member
I will start working at the Capital of Texas Zoo as a junior curator. So I thought as it grows to an adult I would take it to work with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029