• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman Lizard Feeding

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So i got Bacardi some mystery snails today as a treat and man o man he loved them! Sorry about how poor my camera work is and the water gets changed after all the snails were eatten.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYB5zkxVR4s[/video]

This next one shows how he uses his tounge to find snails underwater. He got a but camera shy once he got his snail though.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m2-QIxeHOw[/video]

Jefroka

5 Year Member
He is absolutely stunning! I've seen a few pictures of them but yours is by far the most beautiful!

I would love to hear all about him, details please?

...Jefroka

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jefroka said:
He is absolutely stunning! I've seen a few pictures of them but yours is by far the most beautiful!

I would love to hear all about him, details please?

...Jefroka

Details of course!!
I got him from Ben Sigels so he is an import from 2010 but i choise the one that was fat and healthy looking and most important as well had a great temperment. In fact his the one that is on Ben's You Tube.
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdJI5CpUAZ4&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLYT3XY_2ckkE[/video]

At first i was really put off on getting one, the aquatic life style the special diet the nasty disposition. Then i started to talk to other people who actully keep them as pets and not in a zoo setting. They calm down as well as most tegus, they will eat alot of different things not just snails is farm raised and not WC and thier pools are the only thing you really have to clean. So i took the plung (i know bad pun).

This little guy is becoming a fast favorite, he is keeping amazing colors with no additives to his diet (some people add barcrodine to the diet to make the red head stay red). I feed him 90% snail diet which he is growing very well on. I give him a UVB basking bulb and try and keep his cage a warm 85 to 90 on the warm side with a 110 basking spot.

He will be moving into a new cage where he will have pool he can actully dive in. This will most likly be a temp case untill his full grown and then i will have to finally deside do i go with a wetland tub or something else. The new cage has lots of climbing places and a homock that can hold his wieght.

A bit more about the lizard. I belive his around 8 months old (jundging he was born in 2010 and the rough time of hatching) i got him in March at 15" and i just messured him last night at 24". He will huff and puff and do a half hearted tail whip if you take him out sometime but has never attempted to bite me. They are known to burrow at night, mine perfers to sleep in his pool so that is heated to 78 durning the night. He is very curious little guy, his basking log also allows him to see the whole room and i can watch him fallowing the dogs around, other times he is just sleeping and baskin. I can put my face right up to the glass he'll open one eye turn and look at me and then just go right back to sleep. Not a care in the world.

When i get home i can see him basking and once he sees me he climbs down into the pool and goes swimming over the the corner closes to the entery door and starts climbing up the glass. We loves climbing up on my head and shoulders and back and then running off to explore the room, lol. You can tell he is hungery because he will come to the glass and scartch but he will also puff. its kind of cute.

Anyone who is looking for a crocodilian with a tegu like personality i would highly recomened one of these guys. If there are any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
id love to get one.croc/gators are still on my list of dream pets.prolly on top or defiantly top 5. although iv seen some prices on these guys,they are in the 1000s so i doupt id be able to get one untill i get a good fulltime job. still love to get one tho.what cage do you have him in? looks like its just a tub but thats all i can see in the vid.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Shoot $1000, that is a high price tag. Recent years they have dropped alot i got this little guy for $500 shipped. They are even cheeper than that but i wanted one that i knew was feeding and was tolerant of humans.

His set up not is a 40 gallon breeder with a rubbermaid container acting as a pool thats what you see in the vid. There is a new cage in the works that i hope to have up and running next month sometime. I will post pics of the whole process.

Thanks all for the complements i'm really excited to see how he does long term. My younger tegu is not to fond of the new arrival, lol.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. You're doing a great job with him. Keep bringing us periodic updates if you can.

Awesome fellow you have there!

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu