• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman Lizard Enclosure Questions about Filters

Fyndhorn

Hello everyone,

I am very excited as I am getting my first Caiman Lizard soon. An I have been very busy getting it's first home ready it is a 4x2x2 I attached a picture of it look down into the tank. (this will be his home for about a year) with 2/3 of the tank water and 1/3 of it land the water section is 8 inches deep (for now)

My question is about Filtering the water.

since I am not using a tub that can be taken dumped out and refilled I am aiming at making sure I have some decent filtration going I am ready want to opinions of the community.

Since his pool is arpox. 30Gals I was thinking so setting up an overflow into a Sump filter for it that will run all the time (with water heart in sump) and I was going to use my python clean and fill for each day for larger waste.

Do you think this will be enough, or should I consider an internal filter or canister filter in as well?

I plan to have 2 branches with a basking spots for him to climb to and a second basking spot over the water.

For bedding I am using Cyprus Mulch

I would welcome ANY thoughts/opinions/ideas

Thank you to everyone for your comments in advance :)

Attachments

• WP_000217.jpg
    WP_000217.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 51

Skeetzy

One of those whisper filters that suction to the side of the tank could help. I used one in my turtle tank until he got moved to a 75 gallon. Would also provide a waterfall since I think it would stick out of the water. Never can have too much filtration hahah. Now it wouldn't clean his waste, but until he did go to the bathroom, the water would be pretty clean.

The model I used was Whisper 10-30i

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That whisper filter will clog with the first poop on a caiman lizard. Canister filters are not worth it at all. A sump tank filter will work just make sure the clean the water out frequently as most filters are not removing all the biological agents.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think going half water / half land will work better, and if possible try going deeper than 8". No filter is going to work well enough to prevent you from having to do at least weekly water changes.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Agree with James, these guys are super messy. That's why I use a large tub and just drain it every other day.

Fyndhorn

chelvis said:
Agree with James, these guys are super messy. That's why I use a large tub and just drain it every other day.

Thanks a lot guys I do plan on changing the water every day or other day. Just did not know if I need a filter going as well. I think you lost your first Caiman because of filter.

if I can get a canister filter cheep (Eheim 2213 Canister Filter) would you add it to the setup?

james.w said:
I think going half water / half land will work better, and if possible try going deeper than 8". No filter is going to work well enough to prevent you from having to do at least weekly water changes.

I plan to do a water change each day or other day the tank is very close to a sink and I have a python(fish tank cleaner)

I plan to cheat a bit for the 1/2 land 1/2 water by adding a land lip that over hang the pond to add to the over all land area plus the branches.

I am still adding more bedding, branches, and lights but this is where the enclosure is at today.

Attachments

• tank in progress.jpg
    tank in progress.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 65

Fyndhorn

well everyone here is the Tank the lizard comes on Tuesday. Water changes will be done daily. the basking spot is 126F water 80F Humid 75-80%, there is a mini waterfall as well. Looking to add some more to it in time.

Comments welcome :)

Attachments

• tank pre lizard.jpg
    tank pre lizard.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 184

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Set-up is looking good. Canister filters work well, I had a Fluval 305 on a ten gallon tub and it seemed to keep up, only the timer messed with it.

Skeetzy

Jeez chelvis, that's some serious power for 10gallons. I have a 305 on my 75 gallon turtle tank. It usually has about 50 gallons in it, and it's almost always crystal clear

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The mulch would clog stuff up, the poop the shed skin. I tried an internal canister thinking oh this will not be an issue and every morning I would be cleaning and ever evening when I got home I was cleaning it. I had an old fluval 104 and that thing I was cleaning once a week when Bacardi was hitting the three foot mark, so I found a 305 clearances when the 306 came out. Kept the water clean when the timing system was working, Bacardi did not like the water flowing all the time so I had the filter set up to run for three hours off for four and off at night. Something went wrong, the water was still clear looking but the bacteria load in the water was way too high. I took a sample into work when Bacardi was sick and the count was too high so us to do with a standard microscope. A filter does not make up for regular complete water changes. So knowing that I will have to change the tub once a week at min anyway I got rid of the filter (anyone want to buy a fluval 305?) and just dumb the water when his been using it and re-fill. Once I week I disinfect the tub and give it a good scrub and let it sit out in the sunlight as well, helps to have two tubs.

Skeetzy

That's what I figured. My 305 has the slightest leak by the handles. Not the biggest fan of it, but got the filter and a 75 gallon tank for $40.

Fyndhorn

KritterKeeper said:
Your setup looks very nice! Good luck with everything =)

well so far so good he is eating his snails and loving his pond, but still in the stage where he is hiding all the time, in this case in the water under a log :)

but lets hope he get more public in coming days :)

going to start offering him snail meat by hand to start building trusting with him, and go from there :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980