• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Buying a B&W Tegu

fox020708

So. I'm very new to this forum, but I am a fairly experienced bearded dragon keeper. I have been looking into black and white tegus though and they just look like awesome reptiles. I have sorted through everything; research, cost, space, etc. And decided to look into buying one :D. There is a reptile expo at White Plains, NY at which I bought nearly all of my bearded dragons from. The next expo is on April 22, 2012 and I was going to go to buy all of the supplies for the tegu. The only hard thing is considering where to buy one. So I have come with a few questions such as:

1. At this time of year, would most vendors be selling cb's or imports? or what questions i should ask vendors to ensure captive bred tegus.

2. If they will most likely be imports, is that bad? I would rather do the extra looking for a cb to prevent the needed vet trip for an import that will just cost extra money.

3. If I had no luck at the expo I was going to order one online, I was looking at LLLreptile.com and they had b&w's for sale and they were CB. I was also looking at the reputable varnyard stock of tegus. But Bobby has not answered my emails so i have lost hope in that when I could get my b&w elsewhere. Has anyone got a b&w from LLLreptile.com?

Thanks in advanced for the help for whoever replies :cool:

And wish me luck on my dive into the larger side of this hobby :p

tommyboy

This time of year I am pretty sure that everything you will see online and at shows will be imports. I was at a show recently in NH and there were plenty of newborn B/W and red tegus. When I questioned all the vendors, they all gave a similar response "these are cb from one of our reputable breeders". After looking at several different tables and examining all the babies it became very clear that they were all from the same place, wherever that might be (imported from somewhere). Every one was exactly the same length, had the exact same markings and the exact same coloration.
That being said, they all did look nice and healthy. Many members on the forum will tell you the success stories of imports or farm raised animals. I think it's just a matter of what YOU want. Some people could care less as long as it's healthy.
It's quite a big jump going from beardies to tegus. I really hope you do your research. I have 6 beardies and 4 tegus. One tegu is more work than all my beardies combined! The work is extremely rewarding though in my opinion.
Best of luck in making your choices. I will also be in White Plains checking things out......and can't wait!

got10

fox020708 said:
So. I'm very new to this forum, but I am a fairly experienced bearded dragon keeper. I have been looking into black and white tegus though and they just look like awesome reptiles. I have sorted through everything; research, cost, space, etc. And decided to look into buying one :D. There is a reptile expo at White Plains, NY at which I bought nearly all of my bearded dragons from. The next expo is on April 22, 2012 and I was going to go to buy all of the supplies for the tegu. The only hard thing is considering where to buy one. So I have come with a few questions such as:

1. At this time of year, would most vendors be selling cb's or imports? or what questions i should ask vendors to ensure captive bred tegus.

2. If they will most likely be imports, is that bad? I would rather do the extra looking for a cb to prevent the needed vet trip for an import that will just cost extra money.

3. If I had no luck at the expo I was going to order one online, I was looking at LLLreptile.com and they had b&w's for sale and they were CB. I was also looking at the reputable varnyard stock of tegus. But Bobby has not answered my emails so i have lost hope in that when I could get my b&w elsewhere. Has anyone got a b&w from LLLreptile.com?

Thanks in advanced for the help for whoever replies :cool:

And wish me luck on my dive into the larger side of this hobby :p

ANY baby Gu's you get this time of year will be imported , So be careful. If you want domestically bred Gu's you will have to wait til the late summer early fall . So if a vender tells you the babies are captive BORN that is just saying they are ranched and he is trying to avoid the fact they are imports.There isnt a damn thing wrong with imports as long as they are healthy and the people dont try to rip you off. i wouldnt pay more that 100 for a bw this time of year or 150 for a red, But that is due to the fact it is far more expensive to breed them here that to just put them out in a pen and hatch the be belts and stuff and sell off the ones you decide not to kill .wow that was a long rant
Just stay away from the vending table that is against the far left wall. Almost every animal that comes from there is either sick and or dieing.
you actually would do better to get your cages off of craigslist and watch your local adds .
If you are going to the WP show check out the craigslist listings . There seems to be many people the get rid of them when they realize that these animals need a great amount of space ,time, food , special lighting and a good reptile vet. None of which is inexpensive . I have ten gu's plus various other animals in my home. My gu's rule the den area and when i say a cant wait for them to go to sleep in the winter I mean I cant WAIT . Don't get me wrong I love my babies but they tend to be never ending eating machines... That gives me a break on feeding them while the sleep . saves me about 60 bucks a month because I buy stuff in bulk and do feed plenty of veggies, while some will just feed rodent diets which is even MORE espensive. Im not sure where you are located but i would suggest you hit up craigslist reptile rescues even the pound an ask if there is one that needs to be rehomed. Either way its all up to you . I just hope i was able to help

fox020708

Thank you for the replies.

If an import looks healthy and active, is there a need to get a check up from a vet. I really don't want to dish out the extra money for a vet check unless it is very, very important for the imported tegus health. If it is a big factor of his health though, I will obviously be willing to.

Also regarding how much work a tegu will entail... I will be taking him out daily for at least an hour to roam, and just chill outside of his tank. I will also take a lamp and make a basking spot outside of his tank in my room and make my room safe enough for him to stay outside of his tank all day once a day every week or two. I also understand that they have a voracious appetite, and require a lot of space. Besides these factors, what else makes them very difficult compared to a beardie?

tommyboy

I take every new tegu to my vet when I first get them, but that is just my personal preference. I have a very good reptile vet that I have been going to for many years. He also is extremely affordable. He only charges $75 for a complete work up. If I were to purchase a known import there is no question I would have it checked out. Again, that is just my opinion.
I wouldn't say they are more difficult, but they do require much more attention. Maintaining proper humidity levels and temperatures, bathing, feeding and the taming process are daily activities. Most of us do not consider it a lot of work, but rather a privilege to be involved with these animals. My children and I look forward to it every day! I think if you do your homework and are willing and able to give them the time they require, you will do just fine!

fox020708

Well I am leaning towards buying one either at the WP expo or from varnyard. Like I said though, I have received no email back from the owner of varnyard herps. I may call him and ask to make a deposit. Do you know the expected time of the 2012 hatchlings, and how many he produces?

larissalurid

fox020708 said:
Well I am leaning towards buying one either at the WP expo or from varnyard. Like I said though, I have received no email back from the owner of varnyard herps. I may call him and ask to make a deposit. Do you know the expected time of the 2012 hatchlings, and how many he produces?

I'm not sure how many he produces, but I have a '12 Male B&W reserved from him right now. He told me they will be born and then 3 weeks old ready to go around June/July.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
There were issues with him last year, just a fair warning about Varnyard. I'd be careful dealing with him. The sweetest tegu I ever have had/met was an import I bought at a show. I picked out the calmest baby, held him every day and never had a single issue with him. If you pick an import, then carefully examine them and choose a healthy and calm baby.

fox020708

Really? Was gonna put a deposit down on a varnyard b and w gu tomorrow :/. Think I might look at the WP expo and If an import catches my eye I might get one. I just don't know which to get yet.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I'm not saying not to buy from him, just research what went on last year and then choose whichever route you like most. From what I understand, he accidentally messed up some red tegu eggs which died and had issues getting out refunds to people. I'm not saying he hasn't changed or learned from it, because I don't know if he has, but I'd research it more if I were you.

fox020708

Ok. Is it very important to get a vet check up for imports? If I get the tegu and it is eating and defecating well could it still have parasites?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I don't really know, I never got mine checked and he was fine but you may want to. I only would if he showed symptoms of parasites but you should keep him quarantined and away from the rest of your herps for a while.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You always want to get any imported reptile checked out, you don't what it could be harboring, the issues with varnyard last season was really with the reds, i'd check out wil owner of captive creations, wc reptiles are good but a cbb is much better in the long run

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
The concerning part with Bobby wasn't what happened with the eggs, it was the money part, which could be applied to any of the animals he breeds. Does Wil breed B&Ws?

fox020708

Dont think captive creations is breeding any b&w's this year. And are cbbs much better in the long run? If it is worth the wait for one from varnyard I'll make a deposit on a 2012 hatchling. But I'd rather get it on April 22 for personal reasons more than in June/July. But if the outcome of a cbb over wc is big I'll just wait the 2 months

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wil does breed b/w's, I would say in the long run yes, less vet visits and a much lower overall cost, if they are harboring parasites, I agree about the money issue however we only heard like 2-3 stories concerning it, we really don't know wht happened or if there were many others

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
We didn't hear his side of the story which says a lot. He chose to not explain himself and dodge people about money. Go with Wil if he has babies this year if you go CB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029