• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Buried for days - brumating in summer?

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
I've had my b&w tegu since November. She's a wild caught Florida feral, and is maybe around a year old.

She recently stopped eating, and I haven't seen her in nearly a week. She's been doing a ton of excavating in her enclosure too (there's over a foot of substrate so I have no idea where she even is, lol)

I have a webcam with motion detection in her cage, so she's definitely not coming out when I'm not there.

Is it normal for them to brumate in summer?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No, not typical. How big/ old is she? What are temps in the enclosure and how big is enclosure?

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Age is unknown since she was a feral, but likely about a year old.

Her exact size is hard to tell since she's not tame enough to handle for measuring. I'd say maybe 3ft with tail? She had good body condition last I saw her, and had a vet visit in the winter and was treated for worms.

Enclosure is 8' x 4' x 4'.

Temps average 85F, with a basking spot of 110-115F, and a Megaray bulb for UVB.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Does she have a cool mid-upper 70s hide? Am wondering if heat stress.

Mamasaurus

Not sure tbh. Did your AC turn on? Your temperatures sound fine. Mine brumated without temp change though and I know lighting plays a role. You have your baby's lights on a timer? Mine is a wild caught from Florida as well. Did you do the deworm with your well visit when you got yours? Mine hides when there's a lot of sound or movement in the house since we are still strange to him too. I can handle him with no problem but he is a nebby thing and runs everywhere lol

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Yep, she got dewormed. Lights are on a timer. I actually was in the process of slowly increasing the day length for a while before she decided to entomb herself. (I usually do 14 on/10 off in summer, 12/12 in spring and fall, and 10/14 in winter)

A/C is on but if anything it's just warmer inside. (I set my thermostat to 68 in winter, 77 in summer). And the enclosure is really good at retaining heat though, so it hasn't changed inside significantly according to the thermometers.

And lol, she's much more likely to rush me and try to bite rather than hide.

Mamasaurus

All sounds good to me! I'd say dig her out to make sure she's breathing but wow lol. Don't lose skin... I've handled mine since day 2 but worry about the same things. Guess I got lucky.

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Heeey, she's back!

tia.jpg

Out of curiosity, I decided to simulate a rain storm. I misted several jugs worth of water into the enclosure, and sure enough, later in the day she came out.

I got the idea from hearing that it's also the dry season when they brumate, so maybe rain and water levels have can influence on their behavior in addition to temperature.

She's just fine, barely lost weight from what I can see, and her appetite is great.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I live in Pennsylvania. Mine summer outdoors. Eat ravenously until early Sep in prep. for brumation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980