• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation in summer

BusyTeguTeacher

I am a relatively new tegu owner. My tegu, Mango, is one year old. I just learned about Brumation. Mango was a class pet and was well loved. She loved hanging out in students hoodies and sitting on laps. Knowing what I know now I am wondering if she was trying to go into Brumation during the winter and we just weren’t letting her.

Now she is home with me for the summer. She is hiding under water dish (loves to burrow) and isn’t coming up much. Hadn’t eaten for a couple of days. Does this sound like Brumation? Is it okay that she is doing it now? Please help.

TxTegumama

If you offer favorite foods very close to the nose does it get his attention at all? My tegu did a similar thing in the summer when our AC runs at its lowest indoor temps of the year. It did seem to make our tegu boy a little brumy. But a ripe banana would coax him out every time then once he found his heat lamp or warm mat he was mobile (and pooping regularly again). Day time temps being high enough and humidity seemed help him stay ‘awake’. Free roaming is amazing but we had to limit it to only a few times a week instead of full time to maintain his ‘seasons’. Also very important to make sure they have enough weight on them before they really do a deep brumation. And that they haven’t eaten a big meal in at least a week or so before they deep Brumate.

Stellalife1

I am a relatively new tegu owner. My tegu, Mango, is one year old. I just learned about Brumation. Mango was a class pet and was well loved. She loved hanging out in students hoodies and sitting on laps. Knowing what I know now I am wondering if she was trying to go into Brumation during the winter and we just weren’t letting her.

Now she is home with me for the summer. She is hiding under water dish (loves to burrow) and isn’t coming up much. Hadn’t eaten for a couple of days. Does this sound like Brumation? Is it okay that she is doing it now? Please help.
Make sure your temps on warm & cool side are on point as well as humidity & basking spot. That should help but they do enjoy digging or if your temps are to hot, it will bury itself to cool down. Brumation is starting right around now depending on where you live.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980