• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue tegu research!! What exactly is a blue?!

Evening everyone!
One of the questions my research is trying to answer is what exactly is a blue tegu? I am collecting blood, measurements, and photos for scale counts to start by classifying them as NOT...T. merianae, T. rufescens, and T. teguixin. Blues are still considered Tupinambis merianae...all my work so far shows they are a phenotypic variation, or potentially a subspecies. I will know more when the blood samples are run in a couple years! I am also working with Brazilian researchers and WCS Brazil to find a population the imports may have come from!!!

Why cross a blue back to an argentine, specifically a chicoan? ALL blues world wide originate from 12 animals illegally imported by Columbian poachers from Brazil 15-20 years ago. Ron St. Pierre legally purchased them as "Columbian monitors"...and when they arrived he realized he had something unique!!!! He started to breed them and then created bluetegu.com, which is now closed and he is out of the game I believe. But MANY blues are now very inbred...I see lazy eyes, deformed limbs, and dwarfism (BAD genetics..NEVER buy an animal purposely bred for dwarfism
Or other harmful traits!!!!). By breeding to argentines/chicoans then back to blues we INCREASE gentetic diversity=organismal and population health! These babies look like blues but are bigger, have more white coloration, and solid black stripes instead of broken bands...yet retain the features of blues: burnout nose, eye-hip stripe, and sunlight exposure "tanning" of blue coloration (blue is from Sun exposure! Many look silver even when 100% blue)

I am selling them for $280+ship.
5 left....

[email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029