• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bitey - all he wants to do is eat!

chixwithtrix

I rescued a 1 year old male tegu and have had him for a few months. He is very sweet and not shy or fidgety at all.
However, he constantly wants to eat and tries to slowly bite feet and legs like he is trying to grab them like a turkey ball when you aren't looking. I'm sure he would bite hands too if given the chance. I do not feed live food. His diet consists of turkey balls, cooked scrambled eggs, small mice, catfish filets, bananas, and other fruits if he actually eats them.

Is there anything I can do to keep him from wanting to munch on my skin or is this just how he's going to be? Maybe it will get better when he stops growing? My female tegu I rescued is 2 years old and while she is skittish, she has never tried to bite even when food is around.

chixwithtrix

10527489_10104868703545940_8251225177254932934_n.jpg

1 year, 4 ft, 14lbs

Ralph DeMayo

Yes, step him up to sm or med rats. Easily should be pounding 2 or 3 whole prey at least everyother day. Fill that boys belly early in the day, and later he wont be nibbling on toes :)

chixwithtrix

Hm, I know he could eat a bunch more food easily, I have never yet seen him refuse food even when he has eaten pounds of it already! I am worried about obesity if he is left unchecked eating all he wants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu