• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

biggest pet lizard...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
dragonmetalhead said:
I have a friend who breeds croc monitors. His are surprisingly amicable and even seek out affection at times. His biggest was over 8 feet and 35 pounds, but sadly Snowball passed away at the age of two. Here's a pic of Snowball and his dad at an outreach event we did shorty before he shipped off to the happy hunting grounds. RIP Snowball.

Any idea why the croc passed?

Is this friend Vincent F?

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
dragonmetalhead said:
I have a friend who breeds croc monitors. His are surprisingly amicable and even seek out affection at times. His biggest was over 8 feet and 35 pounds, but sadly Snowball passed away at the age of two. Here's a pic of Snowball and his dad at an outreach event we did shorty before he shipped off to the happy hunting grounds. RIP Snowball.

Always wanted one, Ive heard they have a tendancy to turn/freak out without warning. Is this urban legend? Has anyone else heard of this?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
TegusRawsome80 said:
^^^ If I remember right yes that was Vincent F's lizard. Hadn't heard of its passing.

Yep, I know Vince through my herp society. He's a good guy, extremely knowledgable, and willing to help anyone. Haven't heard the the necropsy. Snowball was a real sweetie.

Dana C

[attachment=4651]
NorCalAl said:
Depending on your criteria, and one of those was keeping as a pet plus legal - wouldn't that be a black throat?

There's bigger, crocs, but as someone said (and check out the PE website for their take on crocs), they ain't good pets. And there's bigger but not legal.

Seems black throat is the biggest, legal, pet lizard you can own.

The picture of the monitor that James posted is right at 9' and weighs in at 75#. Water monitors are the longest that can be kept safely as they become quite tame. Black Throats can be 7' but are usually shorter but are real "lard butts" and can get heavy with very large bodies. They too, although very large, can be ususally be kept safely as they too become quite tame and manageable. My big boy Kinabo, is a nice guy and a treat, (most of the time), to be around.

As for croc monitors, I have no desire to own one. Bigger is not best in this case. In fact even Komodos in captivity become much tamer, (and rather quickly) than Croc Monitors.

The second picture of the water monitor that James posted is attached....just a cuddly little guy.

Attachments

• V. Salvator 1.jpg
    V. Salvator 1.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 14

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CBB crocs can actually be quite tame.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=croc%20monitor#/watch?v=i4HW3H1EqAE
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=croc%20monitor#/watch?v=EQBk9RkM5ew

Now I'm not saying anybody should rush out and get one because his are tame. It takes an experienced keeper to provide for and handle these beasts.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
I would appreciate input from experienced keeps the most approriate method to provide (sizeable) fresh water reqirements for water monitors? Ideally you want something large enough for the monitor to fit its entire body in right?
So How do most people achieve this with a full grown monitor?
Is filtration practical or should something be fitted into your plumbing?
I was thinking of running a tub with faucets and drainage in the enclose, or a horse trough with faucets and drainage as well.
Has anyone used these methods?
Is there a better way?

Sorry all I suppose this is the wrong thread for this post. I will move it.

larissalurid

The largest you can own is the crocodile monitor, they are the largest in length, and komodo dragons are the largest when it comes to weight. I have seen people who keep crocodile monitors, although they are known for being quite aggressive. (but i have seen some calm ones)

Dana C

Thelegendofcharlie said:
I would appreciate input from experienced keeps the most approriate method to provide (sizeable) fresh water reqirements for water monitors? Ideally you want something large enough for the monitor to fit its entire body in right?
So How do most people achieve this with a full grown monitor?
Is filtration practical or should something be fitted into your plumbing?
I was thinking of running a tub with faucets and drainage in the enclose, or a horse trough with faucets and drainage as well.
Has anyone used these methods?
Is there a better way?

Sorry all I suppose this is the wrong thread for this post. I will move it.

I don't know where you live but a few that I have seen pictures of have small really heavy black plastic fish pond set ups. In temperate areas they can be found at garden supply and big box stores. While not huge they are big enough, 3'+. If you are not in Florida, winter and outdoor ponds are iffy IMHO. However a small one could work in a 8-10' enclosure. Remember the WM doesn't need to stretch out full length and will be happy semi curled in the water.
The problem as I see it would be keeping the water temp in the range you want it to be and changing it when it needs it. A large shop vac could remove the water in a couple of passes and an aquarium hose set up could refill it.

Hope my thoughts help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980