• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

best substrate

montana

roastedspleen said:
yeah thanks for correcting me computer lagged and didnt post it right. but why not use peat moss?

If its like the stuff we use in the garden it is basically dust ...

I would guess its acidic .. there are much better choices ..

Sphagnum moss maybe but it also would turn to dust in a short time in my opinion ...

What do you have against coconut???

HPIZZLE

wow guys thanks for all the replies!!!
rrcoolj, i knew about the coconut blocks from your threads on MFK. hpizzle on mfk, is also hpizzle just about everywhere else lol.

i think i will start out with the coconut bricks for a few months till she outgrows the enclosure. the tank is a 36x18x18 exo terra, which hold humidity very well, and also allow for ventalation.

i also use a dirt sand mix in my ackie enclosure, and dont think it holds burrows super well. however, i will say there is more sand than dirt so i would imagine that has an effect on the burrowing aspect.

i think im seriously starting to like this site. lots of helpful responses instead of posts about how big tegus get and how no one can house one properly lol.
thanks again guys. ill be sure to post pictures when i get her!! and her enclosure when its all set up!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HPIZZLE said:
wow guys thanks for all the replies!!!
rrcoolj, i knew about the coconut blocks from your threads on MFK. hpizzle on mfk, is also hpizzle just about everywhere else lol.

i think i will start out with the coconut bricks for a few months till she outgrows the enclosure. the tank is a 36x18x18 exo terra, which hold humidity very well, and also allow for ventalation.

i also use a dirt sand mix in my ackie enclosure, and dont think it holds burrows super well. however, i will say there is more sand than dirt so i would imagine that has an effect on the burrowing aspect.

i think im seriously starting to like this site. lots of helpful responses instead of posts about how big tegus get and how no one can house one properly lol.
thanks again guys. ill be sure to post pictures when i get her!! and her enclosure when its all set up!

The sand/soil mix does take a little work to get it right. I got lucky and the place I get mine seems to mix it perfectly. You need to be sure it isn't too dry as well or it won't hold a burrow.

herpgirl2510

I really like my cypress and it has a nice smell. I just put in moe so now I have 10-12 inches I am cusious how they will like that much. Probably never find them again :)

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I use Zoo Med's Eco-Earth not just for my tegu, but for most of my other reptiles (except the desert lizards and sand boa). That stuff is absolutely amazing. Kodo likes to sleep buried under his water dish

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980