• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

behavioral confusion

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
ok so my tegu has lately been acting like i'm a predator which is understandable because of somethings that have happened recently...well 2 days ago she escaped from her enclosure and i found her in my gf's closet under some blankets...i left her there all night and half way into the next day...i called Bobby he told me i need to get her out of there and back into her cage so i o\slowly pickedup the blanket and went for her she moved deeper into the close so i scrambled up me some eggs put em out and moved the guitar she was hiding behind...i could tell she was starving so i put them on the ground and just sat there...she slowly came over to them watching me with every step she took...she even ate the whole plate of eggs still staring at me then she slowly walked away...i grabbed a black tee-shirt and i placed it over her picked her up and placed her in her enclosure and left the room for about 2 hours...i came back and she was basking...i gave her another small plate of turkey so she would fill out a little bit more...then as i was reaching in to get the plate out(which was empty) she ran upto my arm and started licking me(like a dog would sniff someone it didnt recognize) then she slowly climbed up my arm and sat on my shoulders...today i sat right next to her cage and she didn't rattle her tail like she usually did, she wasnt whipping around, and she didn't run for her hide...and i was wondering WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH HER?!!! one i'm her friend one mistake i'm her worst enemy...3 days later we're friends oi so confusing

any help or clarification would be much appreciated :fc

AWD247

5 Year Member
I think it was just because of the stress put on it from that lil mix up, Its going to be all about trust now and how your treating it, the more you keep it comfortable and stress free, the more in return youll get. Keep doing what your doing, take your time. ALways watch its body language, learn what it tolerates more and work more with that at 1st.
Slow motion and time is your best friend.

Goodluck

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Wow, what an awesome and amazing outcome! My tegu has had some behavioral issues since moving him into his larger enclosure.

Some days I'm a friend, some days I'm, well, I think he's not quite sure really, on certain days. On certain days he is leary. I think he is training me.

He has indeed figured out that if he wants to eat, he best climb onto my shoulder for a trip to the feeding bin.

So today after he fed, I put him on the bed for some roaming. When I moved across the room towards the bed, like I always do, he hightailed it with lightning speed across the bed and in between the mattress and the wall.

Good thing the boxspring was right up against the wall or he would have wound up underneath the bed. It would have been very difficult getting him out as this bed is very heavy.

I was able to get him back in his enclosure but he was just acting weird, even tried to jump off my shoulder, but I had a hand on his tail, so he couldn't.

I'm going slow and doing my best to fulfill his needs but dang, he can be moody. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

...Jefroka

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
yea same with mine...i literally just hand fed my Akira and then 20mins later she rattling her tail at me like i'm about to eat her D=...i was petting her than she starts to arch her back with my strokes(i'm not to sure what that means) so i stop...i bring her some food and she's calm again...she PMSes worse than my mother sometimes...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.