• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Beginners snake

G

Does anyone have a recommendation for a beginners snake .? Easy to keep but way cool ...

G

You can't go wrong with a Ball python. They are super easy to take care. I have had mine for over 3 years now and have never had any problems with it.

JAWs001

my fav. are red tails, i started out with one of those, super tame and by the time they get big you are already pretty experienced with the lil guy

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Corn Snakes and Ball Pythons are the standard "perfect beginner" snakes...

Both come in a large array of 'morphs' offering a wide variety of appearances within the same species. Both are easy to care for, fairly easy to breed, have low basic requirements and are readily available.

If you like the look of large constrictors, I suggest the Ball Python... if you like the more slender look of snakes, I suggest the Corn Snake...

King snakes are also an option, but are known to be a bit nippier and a bit harder to handle than Corn Snakes. But they are still a viable option.

I have a pair of Rubber Boas, which are a small growing (18~24"), very very docile (easy to handle) species of Boas that are Native to North America (do well under typical household temperatures). They are great snakes and make great pets, but are much harder to find.

G

Those rubber boas are like that in the wild too .Just pick them up and put them in your pocket .. I always end up letting them go before long ..

G

Ball pythons are great beginner snakes. They do not grow very long, 3-4 feat but they do get nice and thick. Their temperament is also amazing. I have never seen an aggressive ball python. Once you feel comfortable with snakes move on up to Burmese pythons or red tailed boasÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ve had two of each, male/females they make for a great pet :D

G

I had a ball. I thought about a corn but to me there was something odd/boring about it being the same size all the way through. The ball was really cool.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I started out with a colombian boa and now have 3. Just got 3 Irian Jaya pythons today, and have read that they are very easy snakes. I've been bit about 30 times though putting them in their enclosures and cleaning up poop since they all decided to poop today. Being that they are only 4 months old and tiny the bites are harmless. The boas have been extremely easy once you get the temps and humidity figured out. Other than mites which I just had to deal with this last week, no problems feeding or anything. Good luck.

James

G

i had a rosy boa for about 3 years.it got to about 3 feet and never showed the slightest sign of aggression.really easy to take care of too.

tora

I have a rainbow boa, at first he was sweet but now he's a bitey SOB & full grown lol. They're not the easiest of snakes by far. The humidity they need is crazy, and they're just one of those snakes you can never really trust.

skippy

5 Year Member
i had a rainbow for a while, it bit my chihuahua on the eye so i traded it for credit on a beaded lizard.

what about a pine snake or a bull snake? hardy, attractive, good size, easily tamed...

rosy boas are cool too, i have a sinaloan milksnake that's just awesome- eats mice right out of my hand! mexican black kings are cool too. there's a pretty wide variety of easy to care for snakes out there.

JAWs001

I had i rainbow boa also, beautiful snake but very aggressive, no matter how much i tried to work with it, and they do require intense humidity, they remind me of a tiny anaconda :)

roastedspleen

its not exactly correct to recommend an animal to someone because if they try this and buy the animal than they blame you if something goes wrong and btw i was told this by a person who has had a lot of experience with reptiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan