• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Beginner Big lizards

bfb345

My mother had a lot of reptiles and exotics as a child and one of them was an iguana who thrived and she loved it but she said she would never do it again some animals are just meant to remain wild I suppose

mike97

exactly what i did :) it is the best way, helps understand reptiles and how they 'work' for example- uv or thermoregulation

jaydsr2887

I have a beautiful green iguana and honestly been researching for years before I actually got one and I am still amazed with all the maintaince she takes...... you NEED the right size cage because if not like when I first got mine she was in a farret cage that the lady gave her to me in and she was too big for it and she got so mean that I couldn't reach in to get her food bowl out with out getting snapped or whipped at and we eventually gust hung shelves on the walls for her to free roam but eventually we had to relocate her to a full walk in closet that we converted to a cage and then the lighting and heat has to be just right or they will get lazy because their body heat will drop and they will become sluggish.....and then the cost of food is outrageous..... im spending atleast 60-70 dollars a month on different foods she needs and then the everyother day multi vites... and calcium suppliments.......and then the humidity.....when I first got her she didn't have a uvb bulb... just a heat bulb and then she didn't have her humidifier...... or night time heat..... now she has all the works and the right diet.....if you want the best diet go to greeniguanasociety.org its the absolute best iguana care site on the web....... the next lizard id like to try to raise that ive been researching for the last year is a black throated monitor.... if anyone has any experience in them let me know your thoughts please.....

My mom had an iguana growing up, she said she loved it and it did great but she would never do it again so she leaves the big lizards to me and sticks with her tortoises lol.

jaydsr2887

lol.......i honestly wouldn't trade my Geneveive for anything...... i think we have a good understanding with eachother....lol even my g/f is jealous of her...

jaydsr2887

I do..... i treat her just like one of my kids lol...... i basically gave up a full sized walk in closet to her to live in and if i get my black throated monitor that i want i have a bathroom down stairs im willing to give up.......

Really the only thing I know of black throats is they can be some of the most rewarding lizards but are very time consuming, and are from what I've heard are very hard to find.

jaydsr2887

ok...... like ive wanted one for a few years...... and ive been waiting till i knew a good bit...... and till my kids are a bit bigger but im determined to own one....... ive heard from other people that they become rather docile and lazy as they get older and bigger and that if you wanted too they are even so laid back that they will lay on your lap and watch tv with you and they get WOW big

jaydsr2887

yeah..... that is the other thing i love about my lizards is while dogs and cat will be around for nine 10 years..... my iguana will if i take as good of care of her as i do will be around for 25 at the most years

jaydsr2887

not to mention that my iguana has a just feed me and pet me every now and then and leave me alone......and not to mention that they don't throw around pet hair and dander to make me sneeze

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam