• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bearded Dragon vs. B/W Tegu

bisketandme

5 Year Member
I am trying to make a decision on which one I would like. I hear such good things about both. I know the Tegu's get much bigger than the Beardeds but what my main question is...

What's the difference in the personalities? Do either one actually like to be on or around humans?

Which gender is the calmest and friendliest?

Which gender is the largest? Male or female. In snakes the female is larger than the male. Birds males are larger but slenderer.

Thank you for your help.

Cheryl

dturner05

5 Year Member
I would say go with the tegu, I've never had beardies so my opinion may not be worth anything to you, and I haven't had my tegu for very long. But I have been around alot of tegus, and done alot of research. For myself I like the bond that you can have with a tegu and feel the connection returned by the animal. I think you get that more with tegus than just about any other reptile. As for the size, males get larger than females, and tend to be more bulky. The males also get the large jowls. Both animals are great. I am personally hoping my hatchling is a female, but that is only because I don't have much room right now.

shabazz

5 Year Member
i would also go with the tegu i have 3 two males and a female and they are just great. i have a female beardi and she is good to but she just sits under the light all day, when the tegus are all was in to something and i like that. i like them all but i think i just get so much more out of the tegus. that just what i think

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I love both. I had a bearded dragon for 10 years, and she was the best. Super laid back, loved getting out of her cage, and very chill around anyone.

Every animal is different in the personality aspect though, so remember that. You may get a crazy wild bearded dragon, or a super chill one, same with tegus.

bisketandme

5 Year Member
[color=#][/color]

Thank you. I do realize all animals have their own personalities. I was just asking in general or on average.

Thank yoy for your opinions

Cheryl

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've had beardies for about 8 years now, and tegus for about 3. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Beardies: stay small, laid back, can be kept in small enclosure and small interactive space, sit still for the most part, easy to handle, eat mostly greens/veggies/insects. I have found the females to be a bit "sweeter" as the males are generally thinking about other lizards most of the time. I also like the sleek heads of females in both species. Right now I have 4 adult beardies and 4 juvies. They are really cute, great beginner pets if this is your first lizard. They are visual hunters and will track you visually, giving the appearance of watching you and being interactive.

Tegus: get larger and require more space in their enclosures and in exercise room outside of the enclosure. While they are quite interactive and mine seem to enjoy being around us, they don't really like to be held much and don't sit still. They are quite active and always on the go to check out something new. The exception is right after they've eaten and I cover them with a blanket and we watch TV on the couch...that usually leads to a nap. Their diet is a bit more fruit and meat and they are more expensive to feed than a beardie. I have 3 females and 1 male and haven't seen much difference in personality related to gender. I have one female that is very territorial...I don't know if that is gender related (nesting) or just her personality. She will bite the snot out of your hand if you don't read her just right. Oh yeah, the bite is worse than a beardie's. :)

I think tegus require more confidence as a keeper. Now, this is just my opinion...but there is just more to keeping tegus. They require routines in handling for socialization and such. We all seem to have questions around brumation time, too. But, seeing that you're asking this question on a tegu forum and we all love our tegus, the answer here is going to be in favor of tegus, LOL!

Luvmytegu

5 Year Member
I say ......Why not both! I have both, and each has thier own sweetness about them. They both love to held and ride on my shoulder, they both love to be pet, and are very good tempered. Keep in mind that if you go with a tegu, they require ALOT of work. You MUST handle daily to keep them tame. Trust me all the work is worth the rewards!!!!!! I think either way you go, you can have a sweet animal. Good luck with making your decision and let us know what you decide.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
I say go with a beardie first and then down the road get a Tegu. I have both, and my beardies are much more entertaining to watch. ( I have 2 big boys). The wave the arms to be submissive and bob their heads when being dominant. The watch everything that goes on around them. They love to come out of their tank and run around my room, and they even sleep in the bed with me sometimes!!
My tegu on the other hand is a lot more work. Their food is more expensive.. rodents get expensive after a while. You need constant trips to the supermarket for meat.. and you have to cut up raw meat, for a baby of course. My tegu spends most of his day hiding in his cave, and when hes out basking, as soon as someone walks by his tank, he runs in his cave and hides.
However.. my beardies are 5 years old, and my tegu is still a baby.. so Im sure his behaviour will be quite different when hes 5 years old.

Beasty

5 Year Member
I've had both and I would personally go tegu...ALL the way NO contest!
If you get a tegu from tame parents and it's handled from day one it'll be awesome. Then again they all have their own personality too, like us, that's with anything though.(dog, cat, bird, reptiles too) I'm still partial to the theory that if you get a baby from tame parents and it's handled from straight out of the egg it will have no choice but to be a cool pet.
As far as them running to hide when small, if you place the enclosure where they can constantly see you and/or be seen they have to come out and bask, they have to eat. They are curious intelligent animals. If they get to watch you and yours they will get the fact that you're not a threat and won't have a problem coming right to you, actually seeking out attention..and not just for food either. It's all in how you approach the situation and there's tons of info from experienced folks here.
Beardies are cool too but while I don't like to chase down a young roaming lizard amongst all my wires and furniture, (like a curious tegu or monitor, etc.) A total loaf lizard like a grown bearded is not great fun either. I have seen belligerent examples of either animal but I think aside from "teenage" hormonal spurts you'd likely be happier with a Male B&W. Dragons can be REAL mean when in breeding mode, very aggressive and territorial. I don't have experience breeding tegus yet but from what I hear the female is the one to watch for. SO if you only were to get one, that won't be a problem. The boys are more mellow overall.
In conclusion I'd say, female beardie or male B&W if you only get one.

Also another consideration with Bearded Dragons is Adenovirus which is rampant in them.(not to mention they're inbred like MAD-think about it, color phases, silkies, translucents, leather backs, etc.) Google that and make your own informed decision.

Tegus ROCK! 8)

Tux

5 Year Member
To ask this question here is like asking the same question on beardeddragon.org, you will bet a biased answer.

dragons aren't as lazy as ppl make out, unless they are allowed to be. tegus are more work but in the end you get a bigger lizard, both are tame as for breeding, a female tegu is a heck of a lot scarier than a beardie in breeding mode but that's only when protecting a nest.

I think the whole gender thing is bs, they can both be mellow. After all do we say one sex of human is more mellow than another?

If $ and space aren't an issue get a tegu, if they are get a beardie.

ierowe

5 Year Member
Get both! I have two beardies and I just paid for one of Bobby's Tegus. The beardies are my first Reps. Got them in Nov 2008.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tametegu.wordpress.com/beardies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tametegu.wordpress.com/beardies/</a><!-- m -->

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
Amazing question, ton of responses, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents! I have had my dragon for around a good 8 months, he's a male and loves everyone! Although he just sits around his favorite hot spots, he loves being handled and loves to eat out of hands. Sometimes, I'll take him around town, and twice I've taken him to the movies. He sleeps, while I enjoy!

Now, my tegu experience is limited. I've only had mine since last Tuesday, but he's a sweetie so far! Skittish at times, but loves running through hands and being massaged. I took both of them to petco, the beardie quietly layed on my best friend's shoulder, while I struggled to get the Tegu to sit still! They just love to roam around! Finnally, he rested on my shoulder, I think I wore him out. Lol.

But I agree with some, start with the Beardie, very easy pets if you get them the right lights and food! Or, if your super confident, get both! It's like having the best of both worlds! Just make sure you have sufficient space for both. An adult dragon needs at least a 40 gallon breeder (VERY BARE MINIMUM). I have mine in a 100 gallon, which I got for $65 around my area on craigslist! The tegu, I've hear needs 8 by 3 by 3 feet.

whiteheadnathan

5 Year Member
I've had 3 beardies, and one tegu, and in my experience B&W tegus are the way to go, as long as you can provide a big enough enclosure and time to take them out everyday.

grapesofwrath

5 Year Member
It seems to me that they are quite different animals. One needs more space, handling, and higher humidity(tegu obviously). The other needs less space and a totally different environment. Their feed requirements are completely different. Basically, your question is good, but because of the total opposites these animals require, only you can answer it. It's really what works out best based on their needs and your options to provide such.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029