• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Basking Question

Tkeller

5 Year Member
I have a 100 watt UVB bulb about 18" off the top of a rock that my gu sits on, it gets about 90 to 95deg under there. Is this hot enough? I keep hearing different things about their basking requirements.

I also have a ceramic heat bulbon the other side of the enclosure which only comes on at night when it gets colder than 70deg. My gu is housed in a 3 seasons room without heat or a/c so it stays warm in the summer about 85 to 90 but can get down to 40 in the winter.

So I guess im asking is my UVB bulb doing its job at that temp or do I need a bigger one? and do I need the ceramic bulb to turn on at 70 or should it turn on sooner? The ceeramic keep that side of the enclosure at 75+ even when its 40 in the room.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
from what i have read you want the basking spot to be around 100-105. right now mine is sitting at 101.
robert

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Well the basking should be 105-110 so yours are low. But have you tried just raising the rock? That would save some money. But in the winter you may want to consider a higher watt bulb.

Tanner

Tkeller

5 Year Member
I have a basking bulb that keeps the spot at 105, but its not a uvb bulb, can I possibly mount a flourscent strip next to the basking lamp for the UVB that will output enough UVB for my gu, or should I just buy a new lighting fixture and bulb that does both at once? I will spend the money if needed to make sure my gu gets what it needs, right now i have the basking bulb in so his rock is 104, and he is defiantely vegging on it right now, but no UVB. I have several compact flourscent strip lights for my aquariums that I could mount easily in the enclosure, just need to get a bulb. I'm taking suggestions I guess.

Kingjaffejo

5 Year Member
Not exactly sure! But, if i were you i would just invest in a powersun or megaray. I just wouldnt take the chance of my gu not getting enough uvb, and developing MBD! Just my 2 cents.

stainthedane

5 Year Member
Yeah I keep mine from 105-110 for warm end,
about 75-80 in the cool end...
she has hides on both sides that have to be perfectly identical or else she'll pic a favourite one and ALWAYS stay in that side! :jes

Tkeller

5 Year Member
Well I had a 150watt basking bulb non-uvb i set that up over his rock and added a repti-sun 10.0 flourscent strip bulb right next to it so it gives off the UVB he needs, the basking is at 101 to 105 now, so I'm guessing i'm all set. Only problem is I have a brand new used for like 1 hour mercury vapor 100 watt bulb I just wasted 40.00 on :( it just didn't give my basking spot the 100+ temp that I needed. Guess I'll try to sell it

Herplings

5 Year Member
My cold/cool end is my room temp, that is 78*F.

The warm end is 90 and has a direct basking spot of about 1x1 of 112.

I run a UV bulb between 8-12 hours a day depending on the time of year.

Your temps in my opinion seem just a bit cool.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu